Thinking of Buying iPod 6 128 GB

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mwhals, Jun 1, 2017.

1. mwhals macrumors 6502

mwhals

I am thinking of buying an iPod 6 128 GB for more capacity than my 4th gen iPod Nano 16 GB. I use them in my car and truck.

With the low level of participation in this thread, I am wondering if it is a sign to not get one.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

My thoughts are the following with the experience on the iPod six generation. The A8 processor completely overpowers the 1043 mAh battery. The sixth generation is plenty powerful, but it suffers with the battery life draining rather quickly. It's still a great device, but Apple clearly does not place a lot of emphasis with iPod touch and ultimately I see it as a product that will end up Discontinued in the product line, however, will be supported for how long that might be.

Regardless, it has nothing to do with the lower level participation in this thread rather you should get one or not. The reason is, the iPhone is ultimately consumed the iPod touch. More so, the iPhone SE has trumped the iPod touch in every facet.

I would encourage you to read through the iPod touch threads and see what others are saying if you don't receive too many responses in here, but the battery life is the major drawback. Ultimately, if you find a good sale price on a new one, I wouldn't not necessarily not suggest one. However, I would consider other options as well.

3. Paddle1, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017

Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Low level participation is because most people have iPhones, iOS has it's own sub-forum which is more active so this forum is only to discuss the iPod touch itself.

The battery is just fine for listening to music in my opinion. If you can charge it in the vehicle then I suppose battery wouldn't be a problem at all.

4. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

If you are using it for music I would say go for it. I had an iPod touch 6g and the battery died too quickly when I watched movies, played games, surfing the web. Music listening though was not too bad on the battery though.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I have one and it's my most used Apple device (I don't own an iPhone). I recommend it and the battery is fine if you are using it as a music player in your car / truck.

As others have said though I would take a look at this deal from boost mobile. Essentially, you can get a 128 Gig iPhone SE (better then a touch 6) for $259.99 which is cheaper then a Touch 6 and cancel the phone plan (just use it as an iPod). I would check out the fine print though before jumping at this deal.

6. mwhals thread starter macrumors 6502

mwhals

I decided not to get one until Apple lowers its price.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I doubt they will.

8. mwhals, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017

mwhals thread starter macrumors 6502

mwhals

9. mwhals thread starter macrumors 6502

mwhals

10. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

I can check for you if you'd like
    will be a few hours though as work blocks eBay

11. garya73 macrumors 6502

If you primarily want to use it as a music player in your truck it will suit your needs just fine. I have a 5G and it doesn't have iOS 10 which doesn't concern me as I only use it to play music. The drawbacks at least in my experience are that the music app crashes a lot when I try to open it, and when I am playing an album the music player will jump back to the main artist screen so I have to then go back to the album manually if I want to follow the songs.

I purchased a music app alternative called ecoute but I haven't used it in a while so I can't say if it is better than the native music app.

The battery is pretty much toast. It will go from full or half to 20% at the blink of an eye. I don't plug it in every night so there are times when it completely dies and I have to go through the process of connecting it to the stereo and waiting for the battery to get charged enough so it will boot up.

My only wish is that it had 128GB. I am at 50GB just in music so I am going to run out soon. I already have music converted to 128 kbps when copied to the iPod.

12. mwhals thread starter macrumors 6502

mwhals

Bought a new blue iPod Touch 6 128GB for $344.00

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Congrats and a good price !!!

14. mwhals thread starter macrumors 6502

mwhals

Thanks. It was on sale for $369 at ABT and I had a $25 promotional code making it $344. I couldn't pass it up, especially with no tax. I should have it Thursday or Friday.

15. mwhals thread starter macrumors 6502

mwhals

16. drysdalk macrumors member

Hi,

Congratulations on your purchase - have fun with it ! I upgraded from a 5th. generation to a 6th. generation about a year ago. The performance difference between the two is night and day, but (as others have repeatedly noted) the one big thing that I haven’t enjoyed is the battery life. Aside from that though, it should be able to cope just fine with pretty much anything you care to throw at it.