Thinking of buying Itouch - 16 gig enough for you?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gbross, Jan 17, 2008.

1. gbross macrumors member

New to this forum.

Hi my Palm Pilot TX is about to die. I use it every day for my calendar and contacts (I synch with a XP machine running Outlook 2003).

I'm considering a 16 gig Itouch.

Questions to you Itouch veterans:
    1. 16 gig enough for your music, calendar, contacts etc?

2. If Apple is now renting movies on Itunes and each movie is about 3 gig... to me it seems 16 gig is not enough storage space, agree?

3. Any problems synching Outlook 2003 calendars and contacts?

4. My email uses SSL - any problems with Itouch mail and SSL?

Thanks all,

2. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just bought the 16gig Itouch a few days ago. I have about 400 songs on it, 144 pictures, two full length movies, and a few tv shows. I still have over 10 gigs of free space.

I think what you would do is not necessarily load every movie you have up to your ITouch. You would keep your catalog of movies on your computer, and when you anticipate that you may want to watch one (or two), sync it up to your Ipod.

I haven't rented a movie yet, but I may tonight...mostly to try it out. I think this will be great for travelling. For short flights I'll probably just buy a TV show that looks interesting to me.

3. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

my answer to question 1 - yes it's enough. i have over 100GB of music (over 500 full CDs last time I checked). 16GB is the perfect amount of space IMO. i have enough space to carry around the music i really like, and not so much that i'm constantly flipping through my music trying to find something to listen to.

questions 2-4 - i don't know.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, for me, but this should be easy enough for you to calculate for your purposes. The amount of space taken up by the address book and calendar is negligible. The real variables are music, videos and photos. Only you can know how much space you need for those things.

5. iLoveiPod macrumors regular

1. Yes, ive found that 16 is perfect for what i have (1018 songs, 9 FULL LENGTH movies and 521 hi-res photos.) and ive still got 1.8 gigs left.

2. If i can fit 9 movies and all those songs, i dont think youll have trouble with a few rented movies. You can always swap movies back and forth (dont have to sync every movie at once.

3. not sure about outlook calendars. I think theyll be fine though.

4. Cant answer!

6. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I've got my calendar and contact list sync'ed. It worked great! I've only had my ITouch a few days and I love it! I have a case on order which should be arriving on Monday.

I will probably even love it more when I travel with it. It will be so nice checking in for my flights using my ITouch.

I also got the new apps. I will really like using the mail client when wifi is available. I tried the map program. It's pretty cool technology, but I have a Garmin GPS and I don't see it taking the place of a full featured GPS.

7. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I have an 8gb. It is enough for me, but then again I like to rotate my music around regularly.
    I have more than 500 songs at any one time, 1 tv show, 1 movie, and 40 photos and still have 3gb left. I also use mine as a pda with all my contacts and calendar events in it.
    But, if you have the extra $100 plus tax, I'd get the 16gb.

8. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

9. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's more than enough for me sicne I don't really have a big music library (only around 250 songs), plus some tvs shows, couple music videos and a full length movie where I still have 10 gigs left.

Now if you have a music library of a couple thousand or more, this might not be the ipod for you but for a small library plus for videos, it's great

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

One of my accounts using SSL works fine on my iPhone, so I assume Mail is compatible in general.

11. Mantronix macrumors regular

I had the 16gig model but I returned it for a 8gig model. I have about 300 songs on it, 100 photos and I still have over 6gig of space left. I primarily use it when I work extra hours at work and when I'm at the gym. 16g would of been overkill for me.

12. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

I have over 350 songs, 9 full length movies, about 100 video podcasts, 450 photos, not to mention my calender and contacts, and still have 2 or 3 gigs left. Yes, 16GB is plenty

13. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I have five movies on mine, a few pics, and maybe 300 songs in my 8gb Touch, with room to spare. A 16gb Touch would've been overkill for me too.

14. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

The average iTunes movie is about a gig or less. Not 3.

15. rascal2u macrumors member

Whether it's 8gb or 16 gb...you will become a student of media compression...I have 120+ songs, 5 hour-long television shows (The Prisoner series), 2 movies (Buckaroo Banzai & Rescue Dawn) , 10 self-created music videos, multiple video podcasts, 97 photos, a full contact list, and all the album artwork for coverflow...the total memory usage is 2.5 gb. That's 7 hours of music, 8 hours of video, and lots of on-the-go pictures.

It's the lazy user (or the quality obsessed flac downloader) that nervously watches his megabytes quickly drain away.

Sure, it's enough room, unless your mobile needs exceed reason:cool:

"I will not be stamped...indexed..or numbered...My Life Is My Own"

16. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

It is plenty.

I think it is the shock of going from around 30-80 gigs down to 16.

But in a week, you'll be quite comfortable.

17. SparkyM macrumors newbie

Its enough for me...

My first iPod was a Fifth generation Video iPod with 30gb storage. When I got it like many other people I filled it up with every album and song i thought I might ever want to listen to. How much of that did I ever listen to? Maybe 10 or 20%. You just just put them on there and that it. A 16gb device like the Touch encourages you to consider what you really will listen to and use. It makes it easier and quicker to find stuff. Sometimes less is more, I think.