Thinking of buying Kingston RAM from Newegg.com...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tangledweb16, Feb 4, 2008.

1. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

It would come out to 47 bucks. HAs anyone bought from here? Is it reputable? Is this kind of RAM compatible with the MacBook? How much RAM can be put in to a MacBook? Thanks.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Kingston has 2 lines of RAM -- the 'branded' RAM with the part numbers starting with KTA-

And the generic ValueRAM, with part numbers starting KVR-

The KTA- parts are the only ones Kingston guarantees compatible with Apples.

We don't recommend the ValueRAM for use in Macs. Although they are the correct nominal spec, there have been sporadic reports of incompatibility, not enough to say definitely, but more than background.

How much you can put in depends on the model of MacBook you have -- CoreDuo, Core2Duo, Or Core2Duo Santa Rosa. See MR Guide to understanding Intel Mac RAM. Many frequently asked questions are answered under the Guides tab at the top of this window.

3. djwojo13 macrumors newbie

I buy from newegg.com all the time, about 50+ purchases over the years. They are excellent with shipping and communication. As long as it's so-dimm ddr2 667mhz it should be ok, but make sure to check on the chip makers compatibility list to be safe. I myself went with the G-skill 4gb kit for my new imac, same size memory. It came to $100 +/- a few dollars shipped.

I believe i put crucial.com 2gb kit into our macbook. Newegg will be a bit cheaper though. They have great sales - hope that helps.

4. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Wrong RAM - that's desktop RAM - 240 pin DIMM. You want 200 pin SODIMMs.

Have you read the Guide?

That's the other thing - if you buy from a reputable seller who supports Macs, you'll get recommended the right stuff. With a bigbox / online discounter, you are on your own to figure it out.

6. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Check out the marketplace here! I am selling 2 x 1 gig sticks pulled directly from a macbook (apple ram) that I replaced with 2 x 2 gig sticks. 45 shipped. I'd be happy to sell them to you... there may be other people selling in the marketplace too.

Otherwise, yes, newegg is good, and any 200 pin 5300 667 laptop ram is what you need

PM sent

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Bought 2 2GB sticks from Kingston for an iMac, and there's been no problems. Would recommend them again. Nice price. However, there may be cheaper prices out there.

8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

newegg is possibly the highest rated online store in existence. You have nothing to worry about from them, their prices are usually the lowest after shipping is calculated in (other places may have cheaper prices but high shipping costs) and theyll pack your order ready to ship within 30 minutes after ordering if its late in the day and getting close to the pickup time, their customer service is also as good as your going to get since its not corporate drivel being read from a screen. Ive been going there exclusively for anything computer related for like 5 years, the only complaint Ive ever had was when they switched to UPS as their default "free shipping" provider a long time ago (it used to be fedex express)... I emailed them about it and got back an email the same day from someone talking to me like a real person and saying that a lot of people are unhappy with the switch but they were forced to do it in order to keep free shipping since fedex raised the prices on them.

9. sidharth80 macrumors member

I m getting a 2x2 GB RAM from Crucial for $129? Is the price reasonable?