Thinking of buying new desktop

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lindalepark2006, Oct 27, 2016.

1. lindalepark2006 macrumors newbie

I currently have a dell Inspiron 580 with intel i3. I had this computer since 2010 or 2011. This desktop is slow now and make too much noise. I been wanting to make the switch from windows to apple. Do any one recommend to change from a windows to a apple?

I have been waiting 2 month for the new iMac that as everyone knows will not be updated any time soon. I was planning on getting the iMac 27 inch the base model. Should I wait for the new iMac or get this one?

Is the base computer good enough? I need opinions.

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

"Good enough" depends on what you need out of a computer.

3. lindalepark2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

I only use social media, sport pages. YouTube. Netflix, Hulu. I don't game but I would like to start gaming.

4. 59Burst macrumors member

59Burst

The mid-tier iMac 27" 5K is good enough for my needs. I did change the 2TB Fusion drive to a 512GB SSD. I also plan to add 16GB to the existing 8GB RAM.

5. Firebrand macrumors regular

59Burst makes a solid suggestion. In the end, pricewise, an iMac is a good pick for now and future computing needs.

Actually for general purposes (messaging, surfing and watching video) the 21,5" is more than enough. However, you did mention gaming: mid-tier 27" has much better graphics for more intense gaming.

Another solution is going with an iPad for your mail/internet basics, and buying a dedicated game console.