Thinking of buying this kit for rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MTShipp, Jul 30, 2012.

1. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I am thinking that eventually, though not servicable, I may want to open up the bottom of the rMBP to blow out any accumulated dust built up inside.

I found this iFixit toolkit on Amazon that has the pentalobe driver inside for $65 USD. I figured I would get the whole kit to use the other goodies for other projects.

Anyone else thinking ahead to being able to blow out the dust that gets sucked inside and layered in their fans and ports?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

The Genius Bar at my local store happily opened my iPhone to blow the dust/dirt out of it, at least while it was still covered by AppleCare. I would imagine they'd do the same for an rMBP if you asked. Might be able to save yourself the $65, at least for a few years.

3. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I ordered the screwdriver set from ifixit with the pentalobe and it was only $25...

Up to you if you need all the extras

4. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

What other goodies are you talking about. I can't see buying a $65 tool kit for a machine that is not user upgradable. I bought a screwdriver set at HomeDepot for $8 and I used it once to upgrade to an SSD.

5. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Because an Apple laptop is so magical, you never need to open it to clear accumulated dust. :rolleyes:

6. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

That $8 kit probably didn't come with the pentalobe screw driver though...

7. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I started thinking about what I would do if I spilled liquid on my new rMBP. I decided I wanted to be prepared to open the back, so I bought this $3.50 pentalobe driver from Amazon: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KB8Z52 It definitely does the job.

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

9. etweb macrumors newbie

I opened my normal Macbook Pro 2010 model twice in 22 months, once for a Ram upgrade and now for a SSD upgrade. The amount of dust was minimal. How many screw drivers do you need? One? paying 80 $ for that?

10. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I don't see anything in there about a pentalobe though... Does your MBP have Phillips ( + ) screws? The rMBP has the new pentalobe ones... I've seen people force them open with non-pentalobe heads, but no one really wants to destroy their MacBook screws...

11. Fry-man22, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

12. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

You're not going to find a pentalobe screw drive at your local hardware store. It's a proprietary screw and you'll only find the driver for it online. With that said, your rMBP is not user upgradable and aside from a pentabole screw driver to open the bottom case, you don't need anything else. Even the new OWC SSDs, you don't need to remove anything else.

As much as I appreciate ifixits repair guides, their tools are ridiculously overpriced. $13 for pentalobe screw driver and then you pay another $5 for shipping!!! Suggestion, get the $3.50 screw driver posted above from Amazon or go to eBay.

13. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Yes it has regular screws. My point is why spend that much money for a kit that you will only use a couple times in the computers lifespan? I agree with the above post on buying from eBay.

14. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

That's why I bought the $15 ifixit kit that included all of the pentalobes with like 50 other heads and 2 shafts, not a bad set for my other needs too and not stupidly expensive either!