Thinking of buying used 3GS help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by issint, Jul 5, 2010.

1. issint macrumors newbie

I was thinking of buying an iPhone 3GS from a friend of mine and I had a few questions about how exactly things would go from there. By me purchasing it from a friend I was curious what would happen when I put in my current sim. Would I have to review my current monthly plan again or how would something like that go about? Any help would be great as I'm a bit confused what to do post-purchase.

Thanks!

2. bigtrip macrumors newbie

If you put your sim into an iPhone, AT&T's system will recognize it and automatically add the lower tiered data plan to your existing plan. If you would like to add the 2 gb plan you could choose that online. Of course, if you already have an unlimited smartphone data plan nothing will change, it will just be "titled" as an iPhone plan charging you the same amount.

3. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

You might want to check on the frequency of the phone your are buying and the frequency of the carrier you are using, too. If you buy a phone on a different frequency you might end up with one which runs much slower than you expect. If you are buying an AT&T iPhone, and you are an AT&T customer, you should be fine.

4. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Not ture. I have handed down two smart phones to my wife, one being an iPhone 3GS. AT&T will not automatically add a data plan RIGHT AWAY. That's not to say they won't eventually. But my wife hasn't had a data plan in over a year.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Having done something similar recently, I figured I'd post.

A couple weeks ago I bought a used 3GS and moved my SIM from my Blackberry 9700 over to it. The phone popped up an error about an incompatible data plan or something like that. A quick call to AT&T customer service fixed that; they moved me from the Blackberry Personal Unlimited Data to the iPhone Unlimited Data plan very easily. (yes this was well after the June 7th cutoff on data plans so I was grandfathered)

I did not have to review or renew my monthly plan. They just changed the data plan from Blackberry to iPhone.