Thinking of canceling black for white...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tron72, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Tron72, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

Tron72 macrumors member

Tron72

I ordered my first ipad last night! A 32GB WiFi in Black… and I've second guessed the color choice all day today. I'd to get some feedback before my order ships incase i want to swap colors.

I'm getting an iPad primarily for creative apps (drawing, painting, design, photography and music… especially Garage Band). And my thought process for getting black was that it frames drawing/painting apps better and would provide more pop to colors. I also have a black iPhone 4 so iOS feels natural in black for me.

Today I'm reluctantly playing devils advocate with myself thinking that the white would go much better with my home since I have a white iMac, white mac accessories and a white Bose iPhone speaker dock. Plus Apple's promotion of the white iPad looks fantastic! I'm also thinking that since I'll be drawing a lot on this, black might be heavily covered with fingerprints. Whereas, from what I've read, the white doesn't show nearly as much.

Giving how I plan to use and iPad, do you think black was the better choice?

2. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

I am purchasing the iPad for the same creative reasons you are.

I purchased white.

/lust

3. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

the finger prints are hardly noticeable (perhaps because the smart cover lightly cleans it every time) or because of the special coating

But it all comes down to person preference, theres no wrong answer and you have 14 days to decide if you'd like something different.

4. bjmach macrumors 6502

White iMac??

5. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

The older iMacs were made of white plastic instead of aluminum.

Just like the regular Macbooks were.

/bradllez

6. Tron72 thread starter macrumors member

Tron72

Yep, a 20" 2006 intel white iMac. Probably has a year to two tops left before I need a new desktop.

7. Hosei macrumors member

8. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

Why dont you just go to an apple store or best buy and look at both colors on the iPad 2 and decide what you like?
    They will have plenty of pre-loaded apps to showcase to maybe help make your decision..

9. Tron72 thread starter macrumors member

Tron72

Funny, I was going to go to best buy tonight but couldn't make it. I'm going to try tomorrow.

10. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

Black imo. But as several other posters said of course it's all personal preference.

For me, I went from the black iPhone 3gs to the white iPhone 4 (thinking that it would be a little more unique and stylish than the black). But I will definitely go back to black iPad and iPhone b/c of 2 reasons: 1) the screen on a black device blends quite a bit better; 2) while my iPhone isn't dirty, there is dust and other junk along the edge and the home button that are noticible on the white device. Just my 2 cents.

11. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

I ordered white....had always black until 4s and really like the white now

12. Karr271 macrumors regular

my first iPad 2 was a white one. quickly replaced it with a 32gb 3g model but they only had it in black so i had to get it. Just ordered the new iPad in white after using my brother's white iPad 2. I honestly forgot how nice the white one was. It really feels like a different product.

13. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

My iPad 2 is white, and even though I am not upgrading to the new iPad, I am going to be buying the iPad "4" next year. I will be buying it in black over the white, only because the white feels more fun and "cute" if you will. I love it, it's super stylish especially with my blue smart cover and smart feather. However, the black gives the iPad a more professional look. As with iPods and iPhones, I'm so sick of the black. When I buy my iPhone 4s this summer I will be getting it in white. :) hope I helped!!

14. kallyq macrumors regular

I have the white iPad 2 and I've decided to get the black this time. I use mine for reading and sometimes the fact that the white bezel is whiter than the white screen gets to me. I start to feel like the screen is pink (it is not pink though). It is hard to explain. I feel some anxiety switching from white but I think it is the best choice for me. I know I will miss not having finger prints though!!!

I think either one is a good pick.

15. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

Oh, by the way, not to be rude, but to the people saying that they like their iPhones and iPods in white, the iPad is totally different! I'm not sure what makes it different, maybe the backing? However, the white isn't as stunning as it is on the iPhone, but don't get me wrong, it still looks good :cool:

16. Tron72 thread starter macrumors member

Tron72

Thanks for the responses so far! I worried about the white contrast with white screen as well. With so many pros and cons for both, I'm going to have to decide in person tomorrow morning at the local best buy… hopefully before mine ships. I'd prefer to simply cancel and reorder online vs having to return it to the Apple store. I don't know if I have the will power not to open it when it arrives if I've changed my mind to white.
    As for the fingerprints issue, I use PowerSupport HD Antiglare screen protector on my black iPhone 4 that does a nice job of resisting prints. I'm wondering if that would solve the finger print issue I'm concerned about with the black. I have two kids. My son is 4 and plays games on my iPhone all the time so I can see him using the iPad a lot… leading to even more finger prints.

17. scarred macrumors 6502a

I cancelled my black pre-order and re-ordered the white one. The contrast issue is over played. It comes down to personal preference. For the wifi version, imho the white one just has a cleaner look. If I was getting the 4g version, I'd stick with black so the antenna blends in.

18. chuges macrumors member

The white version also feels more open imo, while the black feels more confined. I guess the only drawback to white is that the border doesn't disappear as much when you're watching movies while a black border blends into the letterboxing (though the opposite is true when you're using any app with a white screen, ie safari, ibooks, etc.)

Ordered a 32g white yesterday =)

19. Tron72 thread starter macrumors member

Tron72

I just cancelled my 32 GB Black wifi. I wasn't feeling settled and didn't want it to ship until I'm sure. Going to compare white vs black iPad 2 tomorrow morning then reordering. To make things more complicated, with the lowest tier data plan on my iPhone 4, I don't think personal hot spot will provide a good experience on the few vacation trips we have planned this summer, based on my recent research. So may be upgrading to 4G tomorrow with my reorder. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the feedback.

20. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I feel like this in the dark with my Macbook Air and backlit keyboard! They keyboard has that sharp cold bright white, while the screen is more warm... it kills me!

21. falcora macrumors 6502

I think i'm going to get white as well. The promo video makes it look so cool, and i'm looking for a change from my black iPad 1.

Plus, i think it's going to look awesome with the black leather smart cover. Kind of like an othello chip.

22. gusnyc macrumors 6502

Still black

I had 3 iPads in black. For this third generation, I was tempted by the white one, just to feel it was different and new, but at the end I ordered a black version.

What kills me with the white version is the little black rim between the bezel and the "active" screen. I think it makes it look busier than the black model.

Also, depending on the brightness, the white of the screen will be different than the white of the bezel, which makes it difficult for me.

I agree with a previous post that the iPhone in white is a totally different experience.

23. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I've been going back and forth for months and finally settled on a black yesterday.

This morning I cancelled the order and went with white instead. Both of them look so nice it's hard to pick. The white with the red leather cover is so sharp though.

24. Xanthos macrumors member

I've always loved the white iPad. I owned the iPad 1 but not 2.

So when the Apple Store opened after the media event, I went straight for the white one.

12 hours and a good sleep later, I called Apple to change my order to black.

I did some research and compared pictures. And after changing my order, I went to the nearest mall to check out both colours and I'm glad I made the switch.

I figured, I love the white one because it's aesthetically beautiful. But I'll probably get sick of it in a month. Practically, the black one is the way to go. As many articles on tech blogs stated, there's a reason why televisions have black frames.

I'll probably envy those with the white iPad whenever I see them on the street, but I rather be envious than having buyer's remorse.

Anyway, during my research, these are the 2 pictures that sealed the deal for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance