Thinking of cancelling my MBP order for a Whitebook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by casjohnr, Oct 27, 2008.

1. casjohnr macrumors regular

You know...I've just placed an order for over £1k for a MacBook Pro base model.

And now I'm thinking 'Do I really need all that fancy stuff'.

Because with my educational discount I can get a Whitebook for £618.05 - Minus QuidCo which would be about £15 - £20 and then get the free printer and £14 iPod which combined could both probably sell around the £140 - £150 ballpark.

So around £450 for a Whitebook compared to £1k for a MBP.

Anyone think I'm mad? ;) Would work out cheaper than the cheap refurbs!

2. molala macrumors 6502a

I think that's a great deal. If the Whitebook will do everything you need, might as well. I would add the 3 year AppleCare for £58 too (for HE purchases). You can only get it at that price if you buy it at the same time.

3. casjohnr thread starter macrumors regular

Yep - I'll be doing that as the resale value holds (I've seen AppleCare packs sell in the £100s on eBay!)

I've got a iMac Alu and mainly use VMWare as I haven't got the time to learn OS X, so I just want a Apple laptop purely for OS X :)

4. timestoby macrumors 6502

its not mad,if ur not gonna really use the power of the gpu then get the whiteybook.

5. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I agree. If you have an iMac for computing and graphics crunching and you are simply gonna use the notebook for learning to use OS X, then the MBW would definitely be the best choice plus its less than half the price.

Think how much Cadbury's you could buy with £500+

I need a Double Decker :( curse you lunch queue!

6. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Just done this myself, although I got a refurb (£529) as I am not a student. If you aren't going to try and play games on it, or huge amounts of video work/large graphics work I think you will be fine. Look on Geekbench and you'll see the scores for the MacBooks aren't massively different.

Also, I wasn't too sure about the new trackpads, or carrying around a £1k laptop, hell even having a £1k laptop in the house with two kids was worrying... =S

7. dckj95 macrumors member

Get the white macbook. it offers the better value and you can use the rest of the spare cash to get software and stuff. :)

8. casjohnr thread starter macrumors regular

Done!

Although weirdly even though my previous order wasn't going to ship until the middle of November it wouldn't let me cancel online, I had to call Apple!

9. King Luis macrumors 6502

i had a 17" dell laptop. fully loaded. best everything.
    then after a year, i sold it and bought my 13" macbook.
    sometimes bigger isn't always better. save your money and get what you really need or want.