Thinking of converting from ThinkPad to a Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reidan, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Reidan macrumors member

As the title says, I am thinking of converting from ThinkPad to a MBP.

I have had every version of iPhone going back to the 3G. And I also have a first gen iPad that I am still using. And back in the 80's I owned a Apple II and a II GS. And in the 90's I worked in IT for a school system that had a heavy inventory of Apple classrooms. So I do like Apple Products.

I am not a complete OS X and Mac newbie. I received an 11" MBA for Christmas. It is the current entry level model with 2gb RAM and 64 Gig SSD. It is nice and is a very good living room surfer. But it leaves me wanting more! I demand too much from it and it is always clocking with the beach ball. Assuming this is due to the 2 Gb of RAM which is shared with video memory and a low end video chipset?

The MBA is my personal laptop. I have been using ThinkPad's at work for years. My current laptop was a T510, 8 Gb RAM, 256 Gig SSD, a docking station on my desk with dual 22" LCD's. I say it was my current laptop as I forgot to zip my back pack and it fell out onto the parking lot today. It did not survive the impact very well!!! :eek:

So I am thinking of replacing it with a MBP. Thinking of a 15" model to match the T510 screen size. I think the 17" would be to heavy to travel with a lot. Core I5 versus I7 is not too big a deal to me, I think the I5 would have plenty of horse power. But I do want a Radeon Video Chipset instead of the Intel Integrated Video. How large a difference does the 6770M make over the 6750M? I do play WoW, Starcraft II, and am looking forward to Diablo III coming out next month.

To keep the price reasonable I want to get some items aftermarket. Will upgrade with after market memory to get it up to 16 Gb. And will most likely get it with a standard 5400 RPM drive and replace it with an aftermarket SSD for less than Apple gets for their factory SSD's. I will also configure it for Dual Boot to handle the parts of my job that require me to maintain a Windows presence. Does that part sound like a good idea? Any drawbacks to my plans to use the after market parts? Any Gotchas to be on the lookout for?

Additionally I want to discuss the dual monitor and docking station aspect. I love dual monitors. I have them on both my work desks. (I have two offices in different locations) and have them in my home office. In addition I like the docking station option of the ThinkPad's. I like just walking in and popping the laptop into a dock and instantly being connected to dual monitors, cables for network, keyboards, mouse, storage, etc. I have not seen a docking station for a MBP. What are my options for this? Is Thunderbolt the only way to do this? Those accessories are just so expensive! This could actually be the deal breaker for me going to a MBP for work. I can get the boss to let me spend over $2000 USD on a MBP, but doubt he will let me spend thousands more to replace all of my monitors! So hopefully there are some aftermarket options available.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any information or opinions you can share.

2. chewes, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012

chewes macrumors newbie

I would wait for the 2012 MacBook pros if I were you. But, if you can't the 2011s are great anyways.

----------

Also the 6770m is just an over clocked 6750m so there's not much of a difference. You can overclock the 6750m yourself anyways. As for aftermarket parts, go for it. You can get 16gb RAM for $100 and a nice 256gb SSD for under 300$ these days. Here's a dual monitor solution http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/?productTabs=1
    $150
    16gb RAM: http://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-P...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334272455&sr=1-1
    $94
    256gb Ssd: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-I...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334271766&sr=1-1
    $285
    Henge docking station I think this is what your looking for:
    http://www.amazon.com/Henge-HD01VA15MBP-Docking-Station-15-inch/dp/B004FJGUHO
    $75
    This is the only other docking option I could find:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bookendz-Be-M...4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334272282&sr=1-4
    $222

3. Reidan thread starter macrumors member

That Matrox adapter looks interesting. I never knew a single DVI port could be used to feed signal to two monitors.

I may not be able to wait for the 2012's as my current laptop is dead. I have a desktop in my primary office (using it to type these posts). But no computer at all now for my secondary office. Unless I go dig out my old T61 and dust it off.

The screen is shattered on the T510. I have not yet tested it in the docking station to see if anything else died in the impact. Since it had an SSD, it may still function without the LCD for now.

4. chewes macrumors newbie

If you can wait you should because even if you end up going with the 2011s the price will be lower anyways so you can spend more cash on accessories anyways. I'm in a slightly similar situation that I really need a computer now as my other one died and I want a MacBook pro but I'm surviving for the moment with my iPad and borrowing family member's computers. I'm trying hard to wait for the 2012s. I feel your pain. :eek:

5. Reidan thread starter macrumors member

The Bookendz Dock looks eerily similar to the ThinkPad Docks!!

If it can limp by for a few weeks, I will try and wait!

Thanks for the links.

6. chewes macrumors newbie