Thinking of converting to apple...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by labmonkey, Jul 21, 2008.

1. labmonkey macrumors newbie

labmonkey

...and buying a Macbook. I'm after a new laptop. I've been using Windows PC's since 1995 and decided it's time for a change.
    The thing that worries me is, the Macbook has been out for a couple of years now and I'm scared that as soon as I buy one Apple will release a new model and my model will be obselete and plummet in price. Has there been any notifications of Apple developing a new model, or is there any indication of a price drop in Macbooks?

Thanks for replies in advance.:)

also is the 2.4 worth the extra cash over the 2.1?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We're exceedingly close to the Montevina update. Wait for that. Welcome to Apple!

3. labmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

labmonkey

Thank you, and thanks for the quick reply

4. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

Apple has an annual pattern(well close to it) they usually have an upgrade on macs on Q3 of the year. discounts are usually held the next year Q1 and Q2. Like all laptops/computers, they're going to be new models and they come ever so fast. Buying the 2.4 ghz imo is the best choice, as it well last for years.

make sure to get applecare.

5. labmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

labmonkey

Thanks for the info. I realise that technology goes out of date extremely quick nowadays, and that's why I'm so apprehensive. I don't know whether it's best to wait until a new macbook is released and the present one drops in price, or buy the current one, pay more, and enjoy it while it's in date. :confused:

6. rubberball macrumors newbie

SPOT on! Skill and Fuu Fuu.

Mac's don't "plummet" in price when a new model or chipset comes out, but I understand you want the most computer for your money.

I'd recommend joining the wait for the Montevina update as TallestSkill recommended. Though it is not crystal clear when this will be.

7. labmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

labmonkey

Plummet was obviously the wrong word. I've just checked ebay, and iBooks are still going for upwards of £300.

8. rubberball macrumors newbie

I figured you meant for Windoze. :cool: A friend of mine bought a 3000 USD machine last year that he just got 500 USD for...

I've played with both the 2.1 and 2.4 and it depends on what you would be doing with it to justify the price

9. LondonGooner macrumors regular

Just wait a few weeks, and hopefully we will see an upgrade. Atleast I'd expect it by End of August - mid September. But thats just me guessing and hoping ...

10. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

If you can wait, wait. Me: I had to have a new macbook this week for various reasons. Luckily my edu-discount will help offset the small price difference when I upgrade this year. But don't worry about plummeting value....thats just for PCs :p

11. polee macrumors 6502

polee

Wait if you must. However, the current macbooks are preety stable and good value for money. I have a white macbook with 2gb ram (2.4 ghz). I have been a windows user for years and have been hesitant about switching because I was concerned about compatibility issues. However, it's been over 2 months since I switched. Absolutely, no regrets whatsoever. Mac just does everything so much better and everything runs more smoothly. Graphics and sound are beautiful, the machine itself is a beauty. You will simply LOVE your Mac. Just regret that I did not switch earlier.

12. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

my maxim for waiters: wait if you can, buy if you must.

You won't be disappointed either way. Welcome to the cult of mac!