Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerryleejr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
I currently have an iPhone X, iPad Pro 10.5 and a 15” MBP 2015 model. My mother in law recently broke her iPad and doesn’t have the resources to replace it. So I’m contemplating upgrading my phone to an Xs Max letting my wife have my iPad and her mom would get her IPad Air 2. And honestly I preferred my iPad mini to the 10.5. I have no need for the pencil feature nor the ability to split screen. I’m just concerned about losing the ability to continue to work if my phone needs charged...that’s really the only time I reach for my iPad.

JJ

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I currently have an iPhone X, iPad Pro 10.5 and a 15” MBP 2015 model. My mother in law recently broke her iPad and doesn’t have the resources to replace it. So I’m contemplating upgrading my phone to an Xs Max letting my wife have my iPad and her mom would get her IPad Air 2. And honestly I preferred my iPad mini to the 10.5. I have no need for the pencil feature nor the ability to split screen. I’m just concerned about losing the ability to continue to work if my phone needs charged...that’s really the only time I reach for my iPad.

JJ

Then just buy the new battery case for whatever phone you go with. Problem solved.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Desire for a new iPhone for yourself and the impacts to your productivity that losing the iPad Pro will result in set aside for a moment, what's the economic impact of what you're proposing? Proposed sale value of your iPhone X, purchase cost of the upgraded phone . . .

Just wondering if you're not better off just buying your MIL a 2018 ipad or a refurbished previous gen one.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I was more concerned about the feasibility of going this route...

JJ

I’m sure it can be done, but that really can’t be answered by people on a forum. That’s going to be up to you. How do you use your iPad verses your phone kind of things. I personally couldn’t do it. I work from my iPad. I use multitasking/side by side with PDF’s and research. So it wouldn’t work for my use case. Only you can really answer that question for you. The good news is that if it doesn’t work out, you can always buy another iPad later.

jerryleejr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
I’m sure it can be done, but that really can’t be answered by people on a forum. That’s going to be up to you. How do you use your iPad verses your phone kind of things. I personally couldn’t do it. I work from my iPad. I use multitasking/side by side with PDF’s and research. So it wouldn’t work for my use case. Only you can really answer that question for you. The good news is that if it doesn’t work out, you can always buy another iPad later.
Yeah I can see that not working for you. But I use none of those features. And yes I can pick up another iPad down the road. I’m hoping for an updated iPad mini or possibly a Face ID 9.7.
[doublepost=1548518246][/doublepost]
Desire for a new iPhone for yourself and the impacts to your productivity that losing the iPad Pro will result in set aside for a moment, what's the economic impact of what you're proposing? Proposed sale value of your iPhone X, purchase cost of the upgraded phone . . .

Just wondering if you're not better off just buying your MIL a 2018 ipad or a refurbished previous gen one.
Well I’m due an upgrade so wouldn’t change my current bill, my iPhone X would go to my son for graduation and then I’d sell a couple unused devices...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.