Thinking of downgrading to a macbook from a MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crfracer290, Dec 3, 2007.

1. crfracer290 macrumors newbie

Well I bought my MBP in August and I have really enjoyed it so far and I really am loving OS X...but recently I have gotten the urge to build a new custom PC, so I am going to go ahead and pursue that. However I do want to keep my laptop for portability and to use OS X. I bought the MBP as a desktop replacement, but now with a new desktop PC, I am thinking I might want to get something more portable since I don't need the power of the MBP anymore (not that the macbook is lacking much besides video power). The only problem I face is that I have to buy new products (just the way I am) so I will probably just break even if I were to sell my MBP and get a black macbook (don't like the white much). So essentially I would only gain 100-200 dollars by doing this, but would lose the bigger screen, dedicated video (no big deal at all), and aluminum design. But a plus would be I would also get leopard on the new macbook which I do no currently have on my MBP.

I just wanted to gather everyones opinion to maybe help me make my decision.

By the way, I was guessing of getting ~1500 for my 2.2, 2gb, 128mb 8600gtm, macbook pro which is in perfect condition? Does this sound about right?

Thanks.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'd say more like 1600-1650 for the MBP. Also if you're willing to get a refurb MacBook that would save you some money, so would buy an older model, like the 2GHz Core 2 Duo.

3. crfracer290 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well with a student discount refurb and brand new are about the same price.

4. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I understand your aversion to refurb products, although I have friends that swear by them. I'm like you in that I only buy new products, though.

I went from a 17" MacBook Pro to a black MacBook, and then back to a 17" MBP. I still have the MacBook, but after getting accustomed to the higher screen resolution, I found the MacBook feeling cramped as soon as I tried to do anything beyond checking e-mail and surfing. I kept the MB because it's so much easier to travel with, though, and I recently enjoyed it on a trip to see family in California over the holidays. I was glad to get back to the MBP, though.