thinking of downgrading..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hitman45400, Jun 3, 2009.

1. hitman45400 macrumors regular

So, at the moment, i'm 16, and having to pay for my part of the iPhone, (data plan) and i don't have text, but i'm thinking of getting a bbcurve, but before i do, when 3.0 comes out, will the IM programs be able to replace the need of texting?

2. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

well i mean IM apps like Beejive (my personal client, the best in the App Store) will be pushing messages to your phone, so you can be in an IM conversation, and if you exit out of the app for something else, you'll still be logged in and when someone sends a message to you it'll pop up kind of like an SMS, but it won't really replace SMS?

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It certainly CAN, but you need to train your friends to send you IMs instead of texts, and they have to have phones that can receive IMs instantly too.

If they all use iPhones, great. But that's probably unlikely.

I mean, my wife and I plan on using AIM on our iPhones instead of texts once 3.0 comes out, so we'll use fewer texts. So your plan isn't a bad one. But I certainly expect to still send and receive texts from other people, many of whom don't have smartphones at all.

4. hitman45400 thread starter macrumors regular

how would my friends create a message to go to my AIM account?

5. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

They need a phonethat also supports AIM.

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

or you will have to message them first. and then they can reply to your AIM account.