Thinking of erasing hard drive...invalid sibling link

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pikacupcake, Aug 2, 2008.

1. pikacupcake macrumors newbie

Yesterday I turned on my iBook G4 and got the gray screen with the gray apple and spinning gear. Then it would just shut down, never going to the start up screen.

I started looking online and thought it was the logic board. This morning I put in my Leopard disc to run disk utility and got an invalid sibling link report pop up. It looks like my options now are either to buy DiskWarrior or erase and do a clean install. I've used Time Machine since I got Leopard and last backed up on Monday.

The only thing I'm worried about is software that I have lost CDs for. Such as Word and Excel (lots of moving and it got lost in a move). Obviously Time Machine is backing up my files, so I've got those. Should I buy DiskWarrior to try and save those programs? Or I could just go buy the programs again, but if DiskWarrior will help with this then fantastic, I'll just buy that.

Thoughts?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Disk Warrior costs a lot less than new Office -- it's a good program to have, it has paid itself off many times over for me.