Thinking of exchanging space grey sports

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gelie, Jul 6, 2015.

1. gelie macrumors regular

for the apple watch SS. I'm on my secound space grey and it seems like every the crystal scratches so easily. I'm on my 6th iPhone and never 1 scratch or return. Really! This crystal can't really be the same glass as the IPhones. I'm so careful with my stuff and I would have known if I hit my watch on anything. I have until tomorrow to decide. Any thoughts?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

No problems with my SG sport. Then again, I'm walking around with huge scratches on my glasses and I don't know where they came from...I'm certainly careful with my face!

3. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

haven't scratched mine yet, but I know it's only a matter of time.

4. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Haven't scratched mine. I returned my SS for the SG as I prefer the darker look of the watch. If this is an annual update, then I'll see what the next version offers. I really don't put a price on happiness. :)

5. JOSEPH99 macrumors member

JOSEPH99

image.jpg
    I had the Sport. I exchanged for this. I'm very glad I did.

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I bought the SGS after considering both. Deciding factor was that the SS is significantly heavier. I'm fairly active and I don't want a heavy watch. The aluminum and sport band is a very nice and durable lightweight combination.

7. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

The sports watches aren't Sapphire Crystal, they're Ion-X glass. I don't think that's the same as the glass used in iPhone either but I could be wrong there. Just wanted to clear that up.

Personally, I haven't scratched my sport on either the aluminium or the glass and although I'm careful, it takes a beating at work. Are you sure you're not just scratching the oleophobic coating? Even so, if you think you may be happier with the premium SS then go ahead. :)

8. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Exchange it. Otherwise the desire for the SS will consume you like a demon.

9. gelie thread starter macrumors regular

Yea its hardly notable. Just under certain angels. Its most likely just the coating. I really like the way the SGS looks vs the SS. I have Apple care and i do tend to buy the new apple products as soon as the come out.

10. David58117 macrumors 65816

Haha, I'm thinking of this too.

Kind of surprised about how I'm finding the watch actually useful, particularly while at work.

I'm a nurse, so I can't really be there on my phone while I'm with people - but getting a light tap for breaking news or anything while my phone stays away - is very neat.

I have a screen protector on mine, so no scratches on it..

Still debating, may go look at one of the SS models today..

11. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

Do it, I did and am so happy! I went through two sport variations and had just wondered about the SS. After finally selling up to the SS I'm 100% satisfied and have zero regrets.

For me the SS just feels more premium & substantial, matches better with more bands, and allows me to polish scratches out of the casing if I get them for about $7 (cape cod polishing cloth).

Add a beautiful HOCO link band for $30ish and you're good to go :)

[​IMG]

12. gelie thread starter macrumors regular

Made the switch. One day lag because they didn't have the SS in stock. Surprised I missed it so much. Happy i switched. I couldn't stand how easily the non sapphire crystal scratched. As I mentioned I had several iPhones I touches etc. never one scratch. I still don't believe it's the same glass used on the IPhone 6. Just my take.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Do you wear your iphone on your wrist too? Come on. That's not even a fair comparison.

14. hitteam macrumors member

hitteam

I made the switch from SGS to SS due to the SS feels more premium & substantial:), and I really like it. I did scratch the ionX glass within a week of normal usage. Been with my SS for a month and a half still looks good with no scratch on the crystal glass.

15. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

I switched from the Sport to the stainless steel and haven't looked back. It was the best switch I could have made!

16. David58117 macrumors 65816

Lol I ended up doing the switch too..

It really does feel much nicer, and I love the added weight.

Although out in sunlight, I do notice less visibility..

17. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Maybe it's not the crystal but you. None of the sport watches in my life (about 7 different people) have any issues with scratching. I'm in the medical field and trust me, this thing gets beaten around , bounced off metal/plastic/wood/glass products all the time..... No issues.

18. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Scratched within a week. It seems to scratch much easier.

19. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Surprised OP has never had a problem with their iPhone. My iPhone 6 has only EVER been in the same pocket in whatever jeans or shorts I am wearing, on its own with nothing else. And yet it has loads of scratches.

20. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

The glass used on iPhone 6 and 6+ is Gorilla Glass 3. It is ion-strengthened glass like the glass on the Sport. Very similar or the same. I think I've read somewhere that it is Gorilla Glass 4.

21. bluegt macrumors newbie

I had a SGS and found that the front ion-x glass and plastic back scratched far too easily for my liking. Probably because I am fairly active... I switched to a SS and haven't had any issues so far. The weight actually feels nice and doesn't bother me at all when working out...

The SS supposedly scratches but I haven't had any issue - and will just use some polish if it does. Sapphire glass is more reflective in bright light, but I am usually at home or in the office, so that is not noticeable to me.

22. jjk454ss, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'd like to know which one I would get less scratches with, but really it's going to happen either way, so probably doesn't matter. I think that the screen is what I really don't want scratched, and it sounds like while both are difficult to scratch the sapphire is almost impossible to scratch. But I really like the Space Grey Sport color, so I'll probably stick with that.

blue get, I had to point this out:)

23. bluegt macrumors newbie

Haha nice point! Well, let me qualify active -> 30-60m daily interval training at the home gym or office gym :) Going to/from work may also qualify... I have to brave the dangers of the crowded subway system (my shoes get at least 1 new scuff per week from someone stepping on me).

24. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

:)