Thinking of getting a iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KBV1, Dec 22, 2007.

1. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

Im new here so hey everyone :)

I'm thinking about buying a new 16gb iPod Touch after christmas, and it will be my first iPod. I'm just wondering if they are worth getting and if in the future more things/app's will be added to it.

Are there any apps made for the iPod which people have made like a word processer/email app/ etc etc?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the touch?

Just trying to find user reviews before i spend 260£ on a touch.

Many thanks :)

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Its a great product, I really suggest, but not as as first iPod.
    What are your intended uses? Do you want an iPod, or do you want an limited capacity iPod with PDA-like characteristics.

No native apps are available from Apple yet, but will be in February when the official SDK is released. But for now, jailbreaking is the way to go. It allows for the installation of countless apps made by the iPod touch community. With the iPhone port of Mail.app, the touch has full email capabilities when in WiFi range, and the port of Notes.app allows for a watered down version of word processing, but the mobile text edit app expands the capabilities.

In the end, I highly recommend the touch, as it an awesome product, but it really depends on your needs.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hi, welcome.
    I don't own a touch, but I've used them a bit and researched them for a while now and they look, to me, like a great gadget if a) you know exactly what it does/is up front and b) are willing to jailbreak it.

Apple will add new features and apps in future versions of the touch. It's the nature of technology. If you wait to get the next best thing, you'll always be waiting.
    Installing applications other than the few Apple puts on there requires you hack or "jailbreak" the iPod first. It's simple, reversible, and perfectly legal. Once you do that there's several hundred applications available for it. Email, notes (not a full word processor, but you can write things in it), various file viewers, etc.
    You should read some of the many reviews online, but in short; pluses: multitouch, large high res screen, good audio quality, no moving parts, wifi; minuses: price (compared to other PMPs and other iPods), relatively low capacity (due to flash, which has it's own advantages), missing many of the iPhone features (BT, camera, software), must be hacked to install custom apps, new technology.
    There's literally hundreds of reviews of the touch online.
    Many thanks :)[/QUOTE]

4. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

What is an SDK? Does this mean that apple will allow us to put mail and weather on our touches officially?

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It means that developers will have an official way to create software for the touch and iPhone. What limitations there will be on this and who will have access to the SDK is still unknown. (For example, there's an SDK for the 5G iPods that is used to create the games you can download thru iTunes, but only certain developers have access to it and only software that is approved and sold by Apple is available to install on your iPod.

6. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

So what are people "expecting" this to allow us to do? Are we going to be able to install the official iPhone apps right from Apple do you think? Or will it be just like another iTunes store section like you suggested?

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

No one knows yet. My guess is that there will be an iTunes store for larger iPod touch/iPhone software (stuff like games, mail client, personal finance software, etc), and there will be a system to install "mini-applications" that are similar to Dashboard widgets that "everyone" can create without becoming an Apple approved developer. But, again, no one knows yet. We'll probably get more info at Macworld in January since the SDK is expected in February.

8. KBV1 thread starter macrumors regular

KBV1

thanks for all the posts so far :) i know on the touch you can use the internet wirelessly but can you view sites which use flash and can you view clips which are websites?

also where do you find these "jailbreak" apps and instructions how to jailbreak it?

thanks

9. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

I think I will hold off on Jailbreaking then until I hear what they are doing with this.

10. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

you need to wait until it gets redesigned or remastered

11. KBV1 thread starter macrumors regular

KBV1

i know on the touch you can use the internet wirelessly but can you view sites which use flash and can you view clips which are websites?

also where do you find these "jailbreak" apps and instructions how to jailbreak it?

thanks

12. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

You can view sites that have flash but you cannot see whatever is flash on the site. It will be a black box. No you cannot view clips on a website. The instructions to jailbreak are basically make sure you have 1.1.1 installed. Go to www.jailbreakme.com on your iPod Touch web browser scroll down hit install appsnapp. Your browser will crash and eventually restart. You are jailbroken. Now go to installer.app to install all of the cool applications that the community has to offer. It really is that easy.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The biggest disadvantage of getting an iPod Touch is if you intend to use it while driving. It will require your attention to view the screen to do anything on it from unlocking to skipping songs to turning up the volume.
    For this reason alone, I skipped the Touch (I already have an iPhone) and got a 160GB Classic to use in the car. On this iPod when I am driving, I can skip songs, pause, rewind, fast forward and turn up the volume without looking at it.

A few other things to consider:

Battery life is allot less than an iPod Classic
    Storage 16GB Touch, 80GB or 160GB on the Classic. On my 160GB, I can carry ALL my music. I like to have it all with me so I can go through and pick some different CDs to listen to every night at my job and this variety is amazing.

Well those are the biggest differences that I can think of. If you can, maybe get both eventually, a Touch and a regular iPod. It's great having two choices.

14. KBV1 thread starter macrumors regular

KBV1

in the future do you think you will be able to view sites using flash/java and streaming video eg trailers etc?

15. Skilgannon macrumors member

Skilgannon

16. debellator macrumors newbie

Video clips

So I am a little unclear based on previous threads. I have my Pod all jalbreak-in and all, is there an app that I can use to view clips or flash now?

17. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

my thought exactly.

the touch 16gig is my first ipod and it is the first one i would have want because of the wifi.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

No. There is no way to add flash at this time.

19. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

[/QUOTE]

by reversible, you mean that i can restore it to factory settings, thus "unvoiding" my warranty?
    If so, that sounds pretty cool. My biggest fear of jailbreaking is the whole "voided warranty" business

Also, does anyone have any idea, or has anyone read in MacRumors about there being a new version of the iPod touch coming out with more storage capacity?
    The lack of space really bums me out... What am i supposed to do with a GORGEOUS movie-viewing screen, if i can't even store my movies in there??:confused:

20. lala042883 macrumors newbie

lala042883

Hey i got a question as someone posted above said u can jailbreak usin the ipod touch internet can u dl apps when there avalible usin the ipod touch internet to like u can jailbreak

21. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Your grammar amounts to nothing. and read the posts above, i think they'll answer your "question"

22. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

he has a paragraph (sort of) condensed into a sentence (sort of).:eek:

23. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

by reversible, you mean that i can restore it to factory settings, thus "unvoiding" my warranty?
    If so, that sounds pretty cool. My biggest fear of jailbreaking is the whole "voided warranty" business

Also, does anyone have any idea, or has anyone read in MacRumors about there being a new version of the iPod touch coming out with more storage capacity?
    The lack of space really bums me out... What am i supposed to do with a GORGEOUS movie-viewing screen, if i can't even store my movies in there??:confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can restore the touch to factory new at any point, or so all the tutorials indicate. Always take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt, but it certainly seems like this is the case.

You can rip good quality video to the touch under 500mb per hour. You can go smaller than that with h264. Assuming you split the iPod in half for video/audio you could store 16 hours of video on the touch (along side your 8gb music collection) which is about one full season of an hour long TV show (that's 22 episodes at 43 minutes each without the commercials). Seems pretty good to me.

The 8gb is pushing it for most people now-a-days, but the 16gb is probably adequate for 99% of people.

24. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

buy and ulock an iPhone. I did and I love it soooooo much more then my iPod touch