Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isotopecrunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
I currently have a MacBook Pro (2009) and love it. Recently, it has been recommended to me that get a new laptop, in particular a MacBook Air. I've been doing research about it and thinking of getting MBA 13-inch, with 256GB hard drive/flash storage.

My concern is whether that the flash storage is enough, consider I currently have a 500 gb hard drive. I will mainly use the MBA for word docs, photos, email/ Internet, movies and videos. I plan to have an external hard drive if I get it.

Any advice on whether I should get it now, or will Apple be releasing a newer MBA this summer; and if so, would the hd be larger?

Any thoughts and advice on the MBA?

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
If you don't need it, then wait a month or so for the new model. Unless you really want it. For me the ivy bridge MBAs won't be worth upgrading.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I love my MBA 13"
Went from a 17" MBP

I have the size you mentioned, and a portable external drive to store my movies, et. al. if needed

Excellent mobility choice

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Yes, I'd probably hang on a bit for the update if I were you. But the airs are fantastic devices, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Isotopecrunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
Sounds like a newer MBA is coming out in June-July. I can wait for the new MBA. Does anyone know the specs?

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Sounds like a newer MBA is coming out in June-July. I can wait for the new MBA. Does anyone know the specs?

No one knows the specs yet, but it's a fairly sure thing that they'll use Intel's new Ivy Bridge chips which give a small bump in CPU performance, a fairly decent bump in GPU performance, and lower power consumption compared to the current generation. It's also likely they'll support USB 3.

There's also rumours of retina displays, increased RAM, increased SSD capacity etc. but these aren't sure things. It's also possible the MacBook Pro line could have a redesign this year, adopting a more Air like body and weight which might be of interest to you.

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
I love my MBA 13"
Went from a 17" MBP

I have the size you mentioned, and a portable external drive to store my movies, et. al. if needed

Excellent mobility choice

yep, the Air is a great system, super light and plenty fast. I've thought about replacing my iMac with a Thunderbolt display. Kinda depends on the prices for the new iMacs, since they should be usable as an external display.

dang decisions :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.