Thinking of getting a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ForbiddenX, Jul 6, 2011.

  1. ForbiddenX macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2011
    #1
    Hey guys

    I need some advice as to which MBP I should get.

    I've been using a 2008 White Macbook for the past 3 years and I think it's finally time to upgrade. I can barely do all of the necessary photoediting (CS5 and Lightroom) on it. And I'd prefer to do it on my laptop as opposed to my desktop.

    I'm debating as to which 15" MBP I should get. I'm not too sure if I need the 2.2Ghz. Along with Photoediting, I'll be dual-booting Windows 7 (for visual studios), programming (both iOS apps and Java) and I might also start trying out video editing.

    It'll also be used for University (computer science) so the typical office applications and stuff will be used.

    If I were to get the 2.0 Ghz MBP, I'd upgrade the RAM myself to 8GB and get the High Resolution screen. If it's the 2.2 Ghz, It'd just be bear bones.

    If someone could please help me choose that'd be great! I'll be ordering in the next day or so!
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
    The 2.0GHz will suffice, but the GPU is a bit "slow" but should suffice too depending on your workload.
     
  3. talmy macrumors 601

    talmy

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Location:
    Oregon
    #3
    You won't notice the 10% CPU difference, but the high res screen is desirable for photoediting and even programming (the more the screen space the better).
     
  4. babyt macrumors regular

    babyt

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2009
    Location:
    texas
    #4

    i have the exact model your looking at (2.0) with the antiglare
    i use it to do heavy duty photoshop, illustrator and indesign.. i havent noticed much lag.. and it loads fast.. i only have 4gb memory at the moment and will be putting in 8gb for bootcamp ..
    i believe the 2.0 will be fine enough
     
  5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #5
    Agreed.
     
  6. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

    hehe299792458

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    #6
    the GPU is a lot slower than the CPU difference, and you can always get an external screen for extra pixels. However, you can't get (for now) an external GPU
     
  7. ForbiddenX thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2011
    #7
    Thanks for the input everyone! I'm leaning a lot closer to the 2.0Ghz model but I'm still unsure about the GPU.

    I would only notice the difference when doing heavy video editing and games right? I'll be coding games, but they're iOS/Android games so they really wont be a GPU hog.

    If I do play games, they won't be high setting games. Probably just WoW and some HON. I leave all my shooters on my desktop at home and on my Xbox.

    I'm just worried that if I like video editing and really get into it, I may start to find the GPU on the 2.0 Ghz a huge disadvantage. But if I don't like it, I may never need a GPU as powerful on my MBP.
     
  8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

    GermanyChris

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Location:
    Here
    #8
    Then it's time to just get a big Mac because nothing will really compare to it.
     
  9. maclaptop macrumors 65816

    maclaptop

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2011
    Location:
    Western Hemisphere
    #9
    This advice gets my vote. It's the appropriate choice. Hands down.
     
  10. ForbiddenX thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2011
    #10
    I'll probably get the 2.0Ghz now. Don't really think I can justify the extra $300 on the GPU anymore.

    I have no plans to get a big Mac as I have my desktop already.
     
  11. talmy macrumors 601

    talmy

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Location:
    Oregon
    #11
    Programming doesn't use the GPU. AFAIK neither does Lightroom or CS5 (Aperture and Final Cut X do, however). So even if you could get a GPU that was infinitely fast, it won't matter much for what you are doing. You have to look at the bottlenecks.

    In general, the only people that need the fast GPUs are gamers and people running 3D CAD tools.
     
  12. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

    marshallbedsaul

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    Maryland
    #12
    if you have been using the old macbook for so long why not get a higher spec 13'' and save some money?

    or get a 2010 15'' refurb ?
     
  13. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
  14. ForbiddenX thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2011
    #14
    Yea I don't think I'll ever need to do a lot of GPU related stuff when programming. Probably just during run time.

    I don't really want to get a 13" again. The main reason why I'm getting the 15" is for the bigger screen.

    I might get a refurb for $1600 but it doesn't come with a High-Resolution option. But that might justify saving the money.

    $1600 for refurb(non high res) or $1840.20 + $100 App Store gift card.
     
  15. tombubi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2011
    #15
    I would go for a new one with high resolution option.
     
  16. MJNBGA macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2011
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #16
    Plus, you get a 100 dollar gift card.
     
  17. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #17
    If you're not going to spend another cent on this laptop, ever, go with the base model. You get a much more "complete" package.

    HOWEVER, everything you mentioned (with the exception of high res screen) is a self-serviceable part. That's to say, when your budget allows it, somewhere down the line, you can upgrade RAM, or upgrade SSD, or buy that case. There's no rush.

    BUT, if you go with the 2.0 model, and decide later that the GPU wasn't enough. Sorry, but you're SOL.

    Ok, so having said that, there's a few things to consider. Hi-res is an option you definitely want, but technically, if you're ever serious, you always have the option of investing even just $150 for a 23 inch LED (by then, it might even be cheaper!). Or if you're really hardcore, no MBP screen is going to cut it, and it's time to invest in an IPS monitor.

    Now other things: video encoding is almost entirely CPU based (GPU is a noob at it). Intel's quicksync can do it pretty efficiently, but ultimately, raw CPU power is all that's important.

    The difference between the two CPUs is actually closer to 13-15%, and you get the bonus of AES instruction sets (which might be a factor as a CS major, but probably not).

    Of course, the bottom line decision is, if it were JUST the hi-res screen vs gpu/cpu upgrade, go with the hi-res. It's just the option of having an external that might make the gpu/cpu investment a little more worthwhile down the line (gpu is irreplaceable by any means known to man).

    Truth be told, if this laptop is going to last you a while, I'd try and find a way to save up for the high-res AND the high-end if you can. Unless you're fully content with the base model. You should never buy until you're sure with yourself; no point buying with a lingering thought of "what if I bought the other one...". Ultimately, the heart wants what the heart wants!
     
  18. rellimie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    #18
    I am also in the market for a new MBP. While I know what specs I am going to order my only question is should I wait a few more weeks and order when it's shipping with Lion or just buy it now.
     
  19. fishmoose macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2008
    Location:
    Sweden
    #19
    Buy it now if you need it now, otherwise you may as well wait. Basically, buy when you need it :)
     
  20. rellimie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    #20
    I haven't determined if it's need or really really want yet LOL
     
  21. fishmoose macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2008
    Location:
    Sweden
    #21
    I was in a similar situation, I have my three year old 13" MacBook (the plastic one) which I felt it was time to replace. I couldn't either decide if to wait for Lion or buy now. I decided to place an order at my local Apple Premium Reseller last Saturday for a 15" MBP high end model with a high resolution ant-glare screen.

    I figured since I wanted it now, even though I could have waited a few weeks, why not get it? Lion will be free for people whom bought a Mac recently anyway and I don't think they'll update the hardware at all when Lion ships.
     
  22. ForbiddenX thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2011
    #22
    I do have an extra 23" 1080p monitor that I can hook up the MBP to at home. I have a dual monitor setup for my desktop lol.

    It's when I'm at school/on the go that I'd most likely use the MBP for.

    I guess since I'm not really needing a MBP right now. I should just save up the extra money and get it closer to when school starts.

    Thanks again for the input everyone! Much appreciated :)
     
  23. ForbiddenX thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2011
    #23
    I'm torn again. There's a 2.0 Ghz MBP with a High Res Anti Glare screen for $1,699. Should I go for it? I'm afraid that the matte screen won't be that nice for photoediting but I've been reading a lot of mixed opinions.
     
  24. rellimie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    #24
    Just received my new MBP today:

    2.3 GHz i7
    8GB of RAM
    512 GB SSD
    Glossy Hi-Res Display

    I'm loving it!
     
  25. ForbiddenX thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2011
    #25
    Just ordered the refurb! Can't wait to get it :) Hopefully the best $1600 I'll spend on a laptop lol.
     

Share This Page