Thinking of getting a new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by insimbi, Aug 27, 2013.

1. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

I'm ready to buy an iMac, but I've heard there may be updates very soon. Should I hold off or is now a good time buy?

2. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Hold off if you feel the 2013 models will be a big spec bump. Hold off if you need the latest or want the latest. That is the best advice I can give.

3. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

I decided a few weeks ago the get an iMac too.. And ill wait for the 10 September to see if they will present the new model.. Or do they usually not do that on an iPhone event?
    Mainly because i want the best graphics there is to get on iMac since im gonna play games on it also.

4. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Forget Sept. 10th, only iPhone 5S/C there...updated iMac will come later. possibly in late Oct.2013....

5. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Damn, Late Oct means it may arrive even later... I dont think i can wait that long.. Winter is gaming time for me and by then i need it bad :(

6. fig, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I don't know that it will be, there'll probably be a graphics card and CPU bump but we'll see the biggest benefit with the Haswell chip on the machines with onboard graphics (Mini and Air).

If you get one now it'll be a bit slower than the new ones when they come out, but it'll still be plenty fast. The speed of the old ones do not decrease due to new models.

7. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

I'm in the same boat... I have a late 2007 MBP, but it's starting to wear down. Definitely can't destroy games like it could when it came out. Need to upgrade, have to wait. Don't worry, it will be worth the wait. :D

8. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I hope you're kidding and you just made this post to make us laugh. If so you did a great job because you can't be serious. :D

9. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

I am waiting, but I have not other option since I won't be travelling to the states until late November. Hopefully I will get it by then.

10. insimbi thread starter macrumors 6502

insimbi

Same situation here. I'm also wondering if they will announce anything at the Sep 10th event or not. Also, will they announce Thunderbolt Displays at the same time as the release of the Mac Pro?

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The current model is decent, but the next update will benefit from a better GPU (Apple almost always updates the GPU with each release) and it stands to reason the iMac will move to PCIe SSDs, which appear to offer significant performance boosts. They will also have 802.11ac wireless and a slight speed boost thanks to the Haswell CPUs.

So I'm waiting, myself.

12. blanka, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

blanka macrumors 68000

I expect a speed drop!
    Apple will probably make the entry iMacs Haswell only, without separate GPU.
    I don't expect a better GPU on top neither. Nvidia is baking the GTX680MX on 28nm, and their next step would be 20nm, below the Intel haswell 22nm thing. That does not make sense, the smallest transistors in a mac are always on the CPU, not the GPU. The only small hope is that they might go to a hex core chip.

I think Apple will come up with a even thinner iMac (drop the HD) and talk the performance drop right with a environmental crap story, telling how awesome PCI SSD is and by showing power users their new MacTrashCan.

13. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

Really? I highly doubt Apple would put out an iteration that was slower than the model before it. The next iMac will undoubtedly be faster, even if by only a small margin.

14. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

The iMac nano!

15. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

at this point

Waiting is the best option, hopefully Apple will be able to produce these faster than last year.

16. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Another thing is that they will most likely have killed off most of the baby-deceases that comes with a first-generation of a new design.

Perhaps there will even be better quality control this time.

17. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Didn't happen with the 2007-2008 iMac series.

18. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Well. i am serious :)
    What part made you laugh? Mac is an excellent computer for gaming.
    But thats not the only reason i want an iMac, offcourse.

19. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Sep 10th is NON MAC related event. its for iOS devices only.

20. Confusius macrumors regular

Gaming would be my main reason for getting a new iMac. I've waited for a new one since 2010, I can wait until October...

21. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

Where did you get that info from? Jim D. already said no iPads.

Might be they split the mobile stuff with a bit of Mac stuff (i.e., iOS 7, iPhones and Mac Minis on the 10th, then the Pro, iMacs and iPad in October).

22. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I don't know who Jim D is but my point is that its not going to be mac computer related.

23. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

Maybe, you have to wait until March-April 2014....it depends on APPLE's decision to proceed or not with a major upgrade (such as "7" series graphics and Retina panel).

24. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

I understand what you said; I'm asking where you got that info, or if its simply your belief?

25. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Apple has never announced other hardware with their iPhone announcements that I'm aware of, those are always very iOS-centric events.