Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Unless they're mixing up the term "Dual Core" with "Dual Processor"

Yeah right.

Anyway, if it is indeed a dual processor, imho it is a good deal. OP clear this up with the seller.

I recently got one and I am a bit surprised with the speed, not bad for a dual processor 1.8GHz.

I have now a total of 4 Powermac G5's. 2 x 2.3DC, 1 Quad and this recently DP 1.8GHz. I don't have anything more to do with the two dual core and the quad, so on to the next project.

Hope the OP could get some ideas from my upgrade path for this little bad boy.

1. Gfx card upgrade to ATI X800XT, still looking for a better deal
2. RAM upgrade to 4 GB, btw it is an early 2004 PM G5 PCI so it only have 4 memory slots, 2 GB is already on the mail
3. Bluetooth card and antennae (currently have an airport card with original antennae

So far here is what I have done;
1. 64GB SSD as boot drive
2. 250GB HDD as data storage
3. Dusted off the small sucker

Here is my finding;
1. CPU1 temperature is around 5 to 8 degrees higher than CPU2
2. CPU1 goes to 70 degress and higher while CPU2 does not, this triggers the fans to run at higher rpm until the temperature goes back again to normal. I suspect it is an issue with the thermal transfer on the CPU. Probably it needs reapplication of the thermal paste.
3. CPU intake and exhaust fans runs at 300 rpm which is really quite, quieter than my quad and dual cores.

It runs AI and PS CS4 nicely with no hang ups. Plays YT as well as flash videos fine.

sucramdi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
Yeah right.

Anyway, if it is indeed a dual processor, imho it is a good deal. OP clear this up with the seller.

I recently got one and I am a bit surprised with the speed, not bad for a dual processor 1.8GHz.

I have now a total of 4 Powermac G5's. 2 x 2.3DC, 1 Quad and this recently DP 1.8GHz. I don't have anything more to do with the two dual core and the quad, so on to the next project.

Hope the OP could get some ideas from my upgrade path for this little bad boy.

1. Gfx card upgrade to ATI X800XT, still looking for a better deal
2. RAM upgrade to 4 GB, btw it is an early 2004 PM G5 PCI so it only have 4 memory slots, 2 GB is already on the mail
3. Bluetooth card and antennae (currently have an airport card with original antennae

So far here is what I have done;
1. 64GB SSD as boot drive
2. 250GB HDD as data storage
3. Dusted off the small sucker

Here is my finding;
1. CPU1 temperature is around 5 to 8 degrees higher than CPU2
2. CPU1 goes to 70 degress and higher while CPU2 does not, this triggers the fans to run at higher rpm until the temperature goes back again to normal. I suspect it is an issue with the thermal transfer on the CPU. Probably it needs reapplication of the thermal paste.
3. CPU intake and exhaust fans runs at 300 rpm which is really quite, quieter than my quad and dual cores.

It runs AI and PS CS4 nicely with no hang ups. Plays YT as well as flash videos fine.

I feel like the seller is just mixing up dual core with dual processor, but either way what should the speed be like? Rightnow I have a 1.67GHz DDR2 PowerBook G4 and I would clone its drive to the PowerMac and use CS3 mainly. What kind of speed boost can I expect?

I can't complain about the PowerBook's speed, but like everyone else I'm not a fan of how it performs while playing flash content, YouTube mainly. I know its down to Adobe's PPC support, but would the G5's performance make flash run more smoothly?

Keep in mind the PowerMac would be more of a collectors piece than a work station.

----------

Since most of you say its not worth it unless its a dual processor, what is a PowerMac G5 now, what kind of price should I try to negotiate?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.