Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
90% of the time I will probably not have a SIM card in it. I will most likely use it as a general gaming device, and Android "tinkering" device. I would try to flash jelly bean onto it etc...

I have very little experience with Android other than I really disliked it compared to my iPhone (I have all Apple products and favorite apps of mine just aren't on Android). The original Note is going down in price and I'm wondering/hoping if having one will satisfy my Android curiosity without sacrificing my iPhone 5. I don't have any upgrades and don't want to spend $700 on a Note 2, but $300 on last year's model is more reasonable.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Why not get a Nexus 7 instead? I have one, and don't like it, but they're only $US200 for a 16GB device and you get a bigger screen with Jelly Bean preinstalled. If you get a preowned one, you could get it for even cheaper.

You won't be able to use it as a phone, but it should satisfy your Android curiosity.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
It's a thought but I already have an iPad mini so it would probably not get used much. I also wouldn't mind the option to put a SIM card in if I wanted to.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Well. I have an iPhone 4S and iPad Mini.

I just got a Note 2 about 2 weeks ago. Been using it as my main phone in the last 2 weeks to give it a fair shake. About to go back to my iPhone 4S as my main phone.

I kinda expect it won't replace my iPhone 4S due to its size, but can be use as a phone on occasions.

I got it for similar reasons are you. Basically to play with Android and see what Android has to offer. Also want to play with the s-pen.

I replace my 7" Android tablet with a Note 2. My 7" Android tablet only runs ICS and have a number of issues and compatibility issues with Android apps I that I want to run.

My experience with Android phones and Android tablets is that it seems Android phones have less issues than Android tablets. Not sure why.

Definitely try to get something that runs Jelly Bean.

Maybe a Nexus 4 once all the hardware/software issues have been fixed?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I thought about doing this as well to supplement my 4s, I just didn't want to carry my ipad around anymore. I purchased a Note 2 but it was just too small to be a tablet and way too large to be a phone, it was just trying to do too many things at the same time.

I ended up grabbing an ATT nexus 7 and am very happy with the purchase. I still have my 4s so I don't look like a complete idiot at a party, but I can pocket my nexus 7 whenever I need a tablet experience. The other issue with the Note 2 is I could not get it to work with my $10 device data share SIM, ATT said I could only activate it as a phone, so I couldn't even use it as a secondary device unless I tethered. Plus I paid $300 for it PLUS renewing my 2 year contract, the ATT Nexus 7 was $300 with no renewal.

I suppose if you could score a Note 1 for real cheap it wouldn't be a bad secondary device, it just doesn't seem to offer much over one of the larger android phones like the s3 IMO.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I thought about doing this as well to supplement my 4s, I just didn't want to carry my ipad around anymore. I purchased a Note 2 but it was just too small to be a tablet and way too large to be a phone, it was just trying to do too many things at the same time.

Yeah. I kinda want a 6" to 7" Galaxy note now. :D

The galaxy note 2 is a tweener. Too big for a phone and too small to be a tablet.

The Nexus 7 is a good deal compare to the other Android 7" devices out there.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
For me, the Note 1 is a fantastic device. Like you, I am not upgrade eligible (I tried, but no dice). Also, no way was I going to pay $700 for any phone. So, I decided to try the original note ($300 off ebay). It's a gem:

Beautiful screen (pentile is no problem)
Unlimited 4G LTE (they let me keep unlimited)
S-pen (I love this)
Kindle ebooks (great ereader)
Google Maps with voice (gps works very well)
Netflix (videos look awesome)
ICS (JB is a good bet w/in a few months)
Great for browsing

Even though it's not quite as polished as the Note 2, it's a great device and phone. In fact, it's my main phone. In the fall, I will be upgrade eligible and get the Note 3.

As for replacing it with the Nexus 7, there's nothing as portable as a phone. So, as nice as the 7 is (I have one and it's a sweet tablet), it can't beat the Note's portability.

If you use it as a tablet only, it's still more portable than the 7. Also, if you have a JBkn iPhone, you can tether them.

Last edited:

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Sounds great! I have to save my money, so Note 1 isn't happening till at least January, but maybe the prices on eBay will go down by then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.