Thinking of getting an iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hypertc13, May 23, 2014.

1. hypertc13 macrumors regular

It has been probably 8 years since I have had a desktop computer. Once I got into college I used a 15" mbp and towards the end of college I purchased a 13" mba. I absolutely love my portability of my macbook air. I can take it anywhere pretty easily. However recently I have started doing some work where the screen size seems to hinder my productivity quite a bit. Now I am to the point where I am considering getting an iMac to help out.

Would you guys ever consider buying a used one off ebay or craigslist or stick to new or refurbished through apple?

Thanks for any advice

2. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

I've sold through Craigslist, so I think that's a good option for a deal. Just make sure you take a look at it in person and don't buy sight unseen.

With the last iMac I sold, the buyer had a contract they had me sign stating it was the model I specified and in working order, and if it wasn't, they could return it to me for their cash within 24hrs. That wasn't really a big deal, just be sure to read any contract carefully.

Refurbs make for good deals as well, and will definitely save you a bit. I've bought most of my macs as refurbs, and I've been entirely happy with them.

3. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. I definitely could go for a refurb and possibly and older model. I'm not doing any heavy video or photo editing so I don't NEED the latest and greatest even though it would be nice to have.

4. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

I got a 2011 27" model the other day for $1100, so if you're willing to go a little older, you'll save a ton.

5. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

Nice! Did you get that off craigslist or what?

6. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

No, Apple refurbished store. They pop up pretty rarely, but when they do they're a great deal.

7. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I bought a refurb iMac in summer 2008. No complaints. If you decide to go that route, keep the refurb section of the Apple Store in a tab at all times because the best deals often go quick.

8. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

I can definitely confirm this. Refurb.me is a good resource as well!

9. hypertc13 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. I've always been a little concerned going with a refurb even though that concern is unwarranted. Glad to hear you guys haven't had a problem with yours.

10. jdblas69 macrumors regular

In most cases when you hear the word "refurbished" I know what you mean you get certain thoughts in your mind. In the case of Apple products it is well known that they go through a very thorough refurbished process. Plus you get the one year Apple warranty and the option to purchase Applecare.

11. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

My experience was good enough that I went on to buy a refurb Time Capsule.

12. macuser453787 macrumors 6502

Just FYI, OWC (macsales.com) and macofalltrades.com are also great options for buying used Macs. :)