Thinking of getting an iPad--how to open Word documents?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RolandNights, Aug 15, 2011.

1. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I know the iPad can get the Pages app since I've toyed around with it in the store. My question is, how do you even get Word documents onto your iPad? Do you do it through iTunes, e-mail, dropbox?

While I'm here, another question I had was how do you double-space and do other page formatting on iPad Pages? I tried tinkering around with it, but maybe I was just missing something.

2. LagFighter macrumors regular

All three ways that you mentioned will allow you to get your documents over to the iPad.

It's possible to have those formatting options n Pages, but I won't list how to do them here.

3. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

You mention the "big three" for getting word docs into Ipad pages. All work well and you'll use different ones at different times. Many other "file organizer" apps, such goodreader or readledocs, will allow you to wireless transfer docs from a pc to the Ipad if the two computers on the same network. This is a nice option because you can copy an entire folder from your pc to Ipad. In IOS5, I think Icloud will work.

4. Ashwood11, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011

Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

5. Perihelion macrumors regular

Dropbox is really handy for this. Its multi-platform and drag and drop from both OSX and Win7.

6. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

I think iCloud is supposed to be a solution, still in development...

7. rockametrics macrumors regular

If you are looking at emailing and editing docs....
    I have been using Quickoffice Pro HD for about a week now and really like it. The only problem is I need to email the doc to myself first and then forward the doc on to whomever needs to get it. But it integrates well with Dropbox and runs smooth on the iPad. There are a couple other ones out there like docs to go but the reviews on that weren't the best so I went with Quickoffice.

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

You can buy either GoodReader or Pages.

Transfer them through iTunes into GoodReader or Pages.

Upload them to Dropbox and either link your Dropbox with GoodReader or use the Dropbox iPad app and then find your word document in Dropbox and go to "Open in Pages/GoodReader"

Email them and then open in Pages or GoodReader.

9. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

With Pages you can't save back to Dropbox though without using a third party WebDAV service on top of Dropbox.