Thinking of getting an iPhone. Got a couple questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by D3lta, Feb 27, 2008.

1. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Hey all, first post here.:D

I'm thinking of getting a 8GB iPhone within a month or two. I'll get a 16GB iPhone if the $100 price drop rumour is true -- when can we expect to hear about that if it's true?

Questions...

*I currently have a BlackBerry Pearl(8100) from AT&T.*

If I were to get an iPhone at an Apple Store, could I simply switch the SIM card from my BlackBerry to my iPhone? Would I get service, be able to text(for the regular fee, without any plan), surf the web, etc... basically all the things that others do when they purchase an iPhone + phone plan at the same time.

Thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, you will need to use the SIM included with the iPhone, and signup for a special iPhone plan if you want internet, email, etc.

3. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

You would have to activate the iPhone with that sim in it, I think.

ATT WILL know you are using an iPhone, and charge you accordingly, too.

4. cupofjoe macrumors regular

The SIM is already in the iPhone, so you don't need to move any SIM card. It will render your Blackberry's SIM useless (obviously) when you activate the iPhone.

Did you already have a data plan with your BB? If not, I'm preeeettty sure you have to sign up for the 20 dollar "unlimited data plan/visual voicemail + 200 txts" a month. There's probably a workaround (anyone?), but that's a good deal - at least to me. If not, I think you can still use the wi-fi features of the phone, but the phone needs a data plan to activate (I'm pretty sure?).

Anyways, glad to see you're getting one :D

Anyone can correct me if wrong, this is just what I thought...

As for the 100 dollar price drop, I don't THINK it's likely, but who knows. We'll know in the coming month, if true.

5. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

I have the 8 Gig model and I have over 80 CD's on it and its not filled up yet. I wouldn't sweat the 16 Gig if I were you. Now if they came out with an iPhone 32 Gig I might bite. I could then put my whole CD collection on it.

6. D3lta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help guys.

No, I don't have any data plan for my BlackBerry(I don't need the web browser, since it sucks and no need for email either. Just texting, which I also do rarely... but I don't need a plan for that, can I just pay the 10cents charge like for regular phones?)

I have the $69.99(+$9.99 for a 4th line)/700 minute family plan from AT&T.

According to the AT&T website:

The data plan is a requirment? I can't just activate the iPhone without a data plan since I don't need one.

The 8GB is probably going to be plenty, but if they do drop the price, might as well get that...

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You don't need the data plan, but keep in mind you get no internet (besides wifi), voicemail, and no texting.

8. D3lta thread starter macrumors 6502a

No internet -- does that include Safari, Google Maps, etc... and Wi-Fi is free right?

No voicemail? Is that Visual Voicemail or just plain old voicemail?

I can live without texting.

9. D3lta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could someone please answer these questions:

If I don't get the data plan, could I use Safari/Google Maps on a pay-per-minute charge? Like the pay-per-text charge -- 10cents a text.

If you can't, is there a way to turn off EDGE? If I were to to use Safari using EDGE, would I get charged the $20 or it just wouldn't work?

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sounds like you want...

just "1/2 an iPhone" and that's possible, don't get me wrong, 'cause it sounds like you had 1/2 a Blackberry! You'll love it, no matter which half you get! :p

11. D3lta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, and having the 1/2 BlackBerry wasn't bad. The web browser was horrible + the data plan for that was $30. I don't need email, visual voicemail(although that sounds nice). Texting, I could just pay the 10cents fee since I don't text that much.:D

But what would happen if I went on Safari without a data plan? Would I get charged the $20 or is there some kind pay-per-minute/web page charge on it or it just won't work?

And I could still use both Safari and Google Maps with Wi-Fi, right?

12. cupofjoe macrumors regular

Bingo.
    But yeah, just tell AT&T to disable the EDGE network on your phone, and the wi-fi features will still work.

BTW, it's 15 cents per text on a pay-per-text basis. It was raised some time ago last year, I believe...

And under wi-fi, yes, you could use Safari and Google Maps, web apps, email, etc.

Just get in touch with AT&T, they've got the answers and stuff.

You may have to have them activate it, since essentially iTunes ASKS you to pick a plan outside the norm plan, unless I'm just forgetting a "no thanks" option on that screen....

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Thanks cupofjoe...

I had to step out for some dinner at this late hour! D3lta, that's some good "scoop" that "cupofjoe" tossed out to ya' so go for it! Enjoy :p

14. l4t13 macrumors regular

I had a blackberry 8100 and the unlimited data blackberry plan.

I jailbroke and anysim'd my iphone popped the blackberry sim in, downloaded the sim contact program in installer and copied all my blackberry contacts over from the sim.

I get billed monthly for the blackberry plan (unlimited data included) and unlimited text.

Then when my plan is up ill renew with the iphone plan.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sounds like you don't mind paying $30...

v. $20 for the iPhone data plan? :confused:

16. D3lta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help.

You're right, it did go up to 15 cents... but that's also fine since I don't text much.

I'll give AT&T a call today and ask them what my options are.

17. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

The price drop is purely rummor.

Is it likely to happen. Probubly not before we see a 32gb iPhone.

If you want to wait for the price drop then your in for a long wait.

18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Do you get a serious discount? I thought the bberry unlimited plan was 45.00, vs 20 for the iPhone plan...how good is your discount?????

19. D3lta thread starter macrumors 6502a

20. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yes, it's true.

You should try it out at least, and if you don't use it much, cancel it. It's only $20 which i think is a very good deal. That's one of the main reasons of having the iPhone, is all that on the go.

21. D3lta thread starter macrumors 6502a

I could try it for a couple months and see how I like it.

I make about $240 a month(I'm 16), so $20 out of that isn't a big deal...