Thinking of getting an SSD for Mountain Lion...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by InfiniteLoopy, Jul 10, 2012.

1. InfiniteLoopy macrumors 6502

I held off getting an SSD when Lion was released last year but am now seriously thinking about it with Mountain Lion.

My Mac's become a little slow to boot up, and I'm getting a few more beachballs here and there as well as fans going at max when I start working in Aperture.

I'm thinking of placing 10.8 and my apps on the SSD. Would working in Aperture be notably faster (no beachballs/fans kicking in) or would I also need the photos on the SSD?

What's the TRIM situation (I'm thinking of getting an Intel 330, unless there's a better one out there...)? Can I just install the SSD and forget about it?

There were also concerns last year about SSDs not secure-erasing. Is that still the case?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Firstly make sure your mac is compatible with ML http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/. An sad would speed up performance i would look at an intel 530 a sammy 830 or a crucial m4. I don't know about the non secure overwrites so I would google that. Hope that helps.

3. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.
    Yes, my 2008 unibody MacBook is compatible.

Is Intel the best to get?

4. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Great. It depends on who you speak to and what site you go on. Speaking from a U.K perspective on amazon here the intel ones do tend to be more than the other SSD's but then they do come with a 5 year warranty and are slightly quicker 520 mainly but I'm not sure you would notice it because that Mac only has a 3gbps sata interface instead on the newer gbps sata interface, I would google around (I would google the ones I mentioned in my last post) and find one which meets your budget and performance needs, there are many reviews for each of those drives on the web. Hope this helps :)

5. captndave macrumors newbie

330 and trim

i have a 330 coming tomorrow, will post experience here, was searching for a discussion of the intel 330 and trim

6. robvas macrumors 68020

Have you upgraded your RAM to 4GB or 8GB yet?

7. captndave macrumors newbie

I hav 8 was thinking of 16 but decided for my uses I wouldn't notice. expensive too