Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
So, I have a late 2009 iMac and instead of saving up for a brand new iMac, I might just upgrade the ram from 4gb to 8 or 12 gb and upgrade to an SSD.

I just have a few questions:
1. Are SATA III SSDs compatible?
2. Do I need to change the power adapter that goes into the drive with one with a thermal sensor module (OWC tutorial recommends it, but requires removing logic board :( )

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
1. SATA III SSDs are backwards compatible if that is what you mean.

2. Either buy something like the wiring adaptor from OWC, or there is a software solution here that will do the same thing.

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
1. SATA III SSDs are backwards compatible if that is what you mean.

2. Either buy something like the wiring adaptor from OWC, or there is a software solution here that will do the same thing.

Thanks. Do you know if my iMac is capable of getting SATA III speeds or should I just save money and get a cheaper SSD?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks. Do you know if my iMac is capable of getting SATA III speeds or should I just save money and get a cheaper SSD?

2009 iMac will not have SATA III speeds. That said, you can hardly find any SATA II SSDs any longer and when you do they often cost more than a SATA III of the same size since the II is out of production. I would just get a inexpensive SATA III. The Samsung 840 (non-Pro version) is pretty reasonably priced and popular around here.

California King

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
2009 iMac will not have SATA III speeds. That said, you can hardly find any SATA II SSDs any longer and when you do they often cost more than a SATA III of the same size since the II is out of production. I would just get a inexpensive SATA III. The Samsung 840 (non-Pro version) is pretty reasonably priced and popular around here.

Sounds good. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.