Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zebraman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Miami!!!
In the next week or so im planning to get an ipod classic but ive heard much about a revision. If there is a revision around when will it be and what will they change?

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Probably around September but no one really knows for sure.

Someone in these forums mentioned that there are no larger hard drives than 160gb so the bottom end (80gb) classic may get bumped up a little but the other one won't be able to get any bigger for now.

Other than that who knows. Maybe they'll change the interface or put in a better audio chip, ect. ect. It's anybody's guess though.

DARKJ3DI

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Dunedin, New Zealand
any new ipod classics probably won't be too different from the current classics. except maybe a bigger hard drive? i have an 80 gig iPod classic and even i'm having trouble filling it all up!

macsander

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
I usually check the Buyer's Guide it tends to be rather accurate

It is very accurate, but with Ipods it isn't because usually, as now, it's not sure if and what will be updated. It can be nothing or 20gb extra for the classic, or a huge update. As for the classic as the name Classic suggests it is a classic model and nothing much will be changed about it except for capacity, battery and thinness. New looks are unlikely. Hope this helps!

zebraman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Miami!!!
have u heard anything about the click wheel and its unresponsiveness? Ive used many of them before and they seem kinda slow. And the click wheel is less sensitive

DARKJ3DI

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Dunedin, New Zealand
have u heard anything about the click wheel and its unresponsiveness? Ive used many of them before and they seem kinda slow. And the click wheel is less sensitive

its not the click wheel thats unresponsive its the hard drive; it takes time from when you click the wheel to power up the drive, spin the head, locate the song and play it. the wheel is sensitive enough for me although it could be a bit more sensitive.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
I doubt the Classic will be eliminated because of the ability for hard drives to have larger capacities versus flash. I am guessing the only update will either be the smaller HD will be upped or updated software. Just minor tweaks!

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
theres always a case redesign, but its always minor, no ipod generation has ever been exactly same in terms of looks. They almost never update the UI though, technically the classic is the first time the UI has ever changed since the first ipod (not counting just adding color, which isnt really a UI change).

The classic isnt going to change much, it will probably get a better battery at most. They cant put in larger HDD's yet since there arent any they could use. The faceplate will get a small change while everything else remains the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.