Thinking of Getting iPhone for Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kunaalarria, Sep 17, 2007.

1. kunaalarria macrumors member

Waiting till tomorrow of course to see if theres a 16gb coming out, but I was wondering with the update coming up, would it be better if i do the hardware unlock...ex. ultrasim or i just do the software one and when the update comes out just wait to see if it blocks the unlock before updating...
    What do you guys think?
    Would the hardware unlocking be blocked also by the update? or is that highly unlikely?

2. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Thinking of Getting Iphone for Canada

So let me get this straight, you are going to purchase an iPhone for Canada. How the hell is everyone going to get a chance to use it?:confused:

3. James L macrumors 6502a

He's here all week ladies and gentleman!

Be sure to tip your waitress... and try the veal.

:D

4. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Even if it does get blocked after the update I am sure the dev team will be back with another version which will work thereafter.

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Ontario gets it on Mondays...

6. adamyoshida macrumors regular

Hardware unlocking isn't going to be disabled. Software might - but only if you actually install the update.

As I said in the other thread - admittedly, I don't have a crystal ball, but I don't think that the iPhone is going to EVER come to stores in Canada.

http://www.shoprogers.com/business/...9J94J9&plan=blackberryvoicenemail&cat=3&typ=2

A plan with twenty-five megs of data is, with fees and taxes, well over $100 a month. More like $110 a month.

There are a lot of people paying that, or far more, for BlackBerry service. There are a lot of $200+ BlackBerry bills out there.

I've seen $300-400 as a month as common for professionals who work with documents and a lot of e-mails (IE lawyers, etc). That would only be around 50 megs of data a month. Not a whole lot.

If they had to cut those because of the iPhione... Well, it would take two or three iPhones a month - being added each month from outside of Rogers - to make up the losses from a single account. Not going to happen.

I don't think so, at least. And, since there's only the one GSM carrier in Canada (Rogers and Fido are the same company, for those who don't know), there's no one to pressure Rogers into doing it.

7. kunaalarria thread starter macrumors member

Thats what a believe too.. theyre just monopolizing in Canada...That was my first reason to just get a touch so I don't end up using it, but seeing as i can sell my current phone for about 200-300$ that can cut down my cost for the phone and take away the need for a new ipod.

I think i might just go for a hardware unlock...then i shouldn't have to worry about all the updates. Do you think it would be too hard to do?

8. kunaalarria thread starter macrumors member

Another question...If i get the phone...and say the update comes out before i get it unlocked...Would i still have the choice of not upgrading the firmware. because i read somewhere that when you activate the phone it automatically updates the firmware...

9. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I'm sure there will be links to old firmware updates somewhere.

10. DefCon65 macrumors newbie

I'm in Canada, I have an iPhone, software unlocked and on Rogers. I have WiFi at home and at the office and I have used less than 500K on Edge since I got it a couple weeks ago. I agree Rogers plans are bordering on extortion, but set the phone to do manual email updates and use wifi where you can and you should be OK.

As for the update, my big concern is Leopard. As in will Leopard require updated firmware to the phone (in particular to the mail app) and how will such updates affect the unlock status.

11. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

It is sad that Rogers has a monopoly in GSM in Canada. How did that ever happen? And why aren't the prices for wireless data going down at all? Phone bills has been only going up and its ridiculous now that you have to get a 3 year plan just to get a decent phone in Canada instead of 2.

In all honesty, I seriously think that the iphone dev team or someone will continue to keep the unlock working each time Apple closes it up with a firmwire update. Granted sometime it may take a bit longer to unlock it, but I am certain this unlock project is an ongoing on.

To those who fear that an update will relock your phone, you are NOT without company.

12. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I think Rogers exists entirely to make us AT&T customers in the US feel better about the choices available to us.

13. adamyoshida macrumors regular

Just disable automatic updates, and refuse any update for the phone. If they can't update it, they can't lock it.

It's really not that surprising that there's only one major GSM carrier in Canada - there's only two in the U.S. and seemingly two in the U.K.

The problem is data rates - which actually seem to be going UP for some reason. And, of course, the problem here is the CRTC - which prevents competition which might spur a drop in data rates. IE - they'd never let T-Mobile enter the market in Canada, as they did in the United States.