Thinking of getting iPhone - Need Advice!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by palebluedot, Jul 10, 2008.

1. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I want to get an iphone so I can have my phone + mp3 player in one device (i'd get a blackberry but I stupidly legally bought iTunes DRM music rather then using Amazon so now I have to get an Apple device).

I am only going to be working in the US for one year and then going abroad (most likely) for 2-3 years, so I dont want to get a new iPhone 3g and have to get in a new contract, pay the ETF AND turn in my iphone to ATT in one year.

If I get a 1st gen iPhone off ebay and unlock/jail break it are there any good carriers that offer a reasonable price without a 2 year contract? Do they provide data? I cant seem to find ANY, but I know a lot of 1g iPhone users used diff companies. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Warpdrv macrumors member

You are limited to 2 carriers in the US with GSM support for the Iphone, that would be AT&T and T-Mobile... you can do those things you listed and pick with company best serves you and your location...

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Woah, woah, woah... You only have to return the phone if you cancel within 30 days (blasphemous fallacy, if you ask me). Cancel after a month, unlock it (2.0 has already been unlocked), and then use it wherever WHENever.

Centennial is also nation-wide. There are also other smaller, localized GSM providers.

4. palebluedot thread starter macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

I read that in the Apple TOS you will continue to be billed in your contract terms (AFTER) paying the ETF until you return the iPhone.

Plus isnt the ETF like 200 bucks?