Thinking of getting my first ever Mac, but have some questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zero2krazy, Mar 21, 2009.

1. zero2krazy macrumors newbie

So here goes,

Ive only used PCs for my entire life and I'm getting close to buying a 13inch MacBook. I have a iPhone and 2 iPods which I love so getting Mac seems to make perfect sense but I have some questions and concerns that I was hoping someone out there could answer.

I'm choosing the laptop for convience of going out of town but I'm very accustomed to using a desktop so is it possible to plug in a full sized keyboard and a standard pc right/left click mouse to the MacBook, as well as plugging in a large monitor? I have a Hanns-G HW191A monitor that I would really like to use with laptop.

I read that Macs have a "memory" feature that you can reset your Mac to a previous date you choose in case of a **** happens situation. Is that correct?

How well does windows xp or vista run on a Mac? I'm planning on using the standard Mac OS but just in case I can't adjust I want to know I can always revert back to XP.

Will I have to rebuy all my software for my PC with specific Mac designed versions?

This is mainly for pleasure (movies, internet, games, etc), but I will use it for school and a microsoft office for work. So if you have any advice on what to add when placing my order I'd love to hear it.

Thats all I'm really worried about and I appreciate any answers you can provide.

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Apple mice are left/right click, but anything USB works. You'll need a Mini DisplayPort to either VGA or DVI adapter for your monitor.

2. Time Machine. It's for backups of files.

3. In 2007, the fastest Windows Vista notebook was a Mac.

4. Virtually, yes. Or just run Windows and those applications there until you can afford them.

5. Screw Office, get iWork. Personal preference, as it can read and export Office files, but get what you need.

There are a plethora of guides on this site. Read them for a lot of information, use this: http://mroogle.************* to search the forums before posting new threads for anything you have questions on, and if neither of these resources help you, go ahead and create a new thread.

May a Mac bring you years of happiness.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Yep, you can plug in a USB mouse and keyboard. The MacBook has a Mini Display port so you can plug displays in with an adapter – I don't know what connector your monitor is but there are adapters for VGA and DVI so I imagine you're covered.

That'll be Time Machine.

Generally, yes. Some manufacturers may allow you to switch your PC licence to a Mac one, perhaps for a small fee, but mainly I think you'll have to shell out for new software I'm afraid – or run it under Windows on your Mac, of course.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

My answers are in bold:

EDIT: Wow, why am I always so slow? haha.

5. gjw4u macrumors 6502

13" is a wee bit small IMO, I would go for the 15" MBP if you have the extra $$$.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I make a living fixing windows problem and have had my first mac for about a year and I can tell you I will never go back to windows if I can help it.

I've had to rebuy some software to use on mac but the mac OS makes it well worth it. Everything is much easier to get to and more logically designed. All the stuff I did on PC was much faster and simpler on the mac (mounting ISO's, partitioning drives, etc. All built into the OS unlike windows).

As far as keyboards and such just plug it in, it will work, even if it says windows only. No software needed.

If you want office, they make it but I use open office. www.openoffice.org I like it much better then MS office.

Also, as others have stated you can run windows in either bootcamp, or in a virtual machine. I run it in a virtual machine when I want to use something windows or I will go into bootcamp for games. But other then that I am always in mac os. Its just such a better OS.