Thinking of getting new hardware for my home network...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rudini, Jan 17, 2009.

1. rudini macrumors member

This is what i currently have:
    20" iMac - 750GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, etc... (main machine)
    40" Samsung TV
    PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

I buy blu-ray and have about 7 digital copies already on my iMac.

I was thinking of buying a HP MediaSmart Server EX485 (comming soon). Why?

I would like to digitize my entire DVD collection (i have about 300+ movies) and obviously that would not fit on my iMac. I've already tried digitizing one or two and they take about 2 gigs each. Eventually i'd like to view these movies on my TV using my PS3 or 360 or something else.

Am I taking the best approach? Any other ideas?

To view the copy-protected movies on live on my iMac on my TV; is an :apple:TV my only option?

If i do go with the HP MediaSmart Server EX485 home server, will i be able to organize the movies through my iTunes on the iMac?

Any help would be extremely appreciated!
    rudy

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Time Capsule + USB Hub + 2 Extra 1TB External Hard Drives. (3TB (3000GB) total).

3. pandaurae macrumors newbie

My setup ...

We have a 52" HDTV, ATV, XBox 360, PS3 and a Wii. (Husband is the gamer, lol). A 500GB Time Capsule is our backup solution and wireless/network hub.

When I upgraded to my Intel iMac this past summer, my G4 iMac became our media server. I have been digitizing all our DVDs in a format compatible with both the ATV and iPhone (avg 2GB per movie). We also purchase some TV shows through iTunes and we watch a lot of anime. Boxee is installed on the ATV - this is mandatory!! We can watch Hulu, Joost, WB, CBS, etc. all from another menu option. We also rent movies on the ATV (perhaps 3/month or so).

My G4 (Cadsuane) serves to only run iTunes, streaming everything to the ATV; it currently contains a single 1TB USB drive that is currently loaded with about 800GBs. In about a month or so, I shall be purchasing a USB hub and another 1TB USB drive.

I love having my (what will one day be) entire entertainment collection at the click of the remote. The ripped quality, while not HD, is every bit as good as a standard DVD on our TV and the rented HD movies look awesome.

I couldn't be happier with this setup; well, I would like Apple to give me an iTunes server that would automatically start using added-USB drives as its file system without anything I had to do ... /giggles

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

PS3 is your best piece of hardware for media, it's far superior to Apple TV. What you need to do is install a bigger hard drive in it - they take standard SATA 2.5" drives, and these are currently available up to 500GB.

If you are in North America you can currently buy TV shows and movies from the PlayStation Store and this functionality is extending to Europe and Japan soon.

Also, when ripping your movies use some form of compression to reduce the file size, or just stop being lazy and put the disc in your machine to play it :p