Thinking of getting Rock Band (PS3)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Zwhaler, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

So after watching plenty of reviews between Guitar Hero III and Rock Band, I'm leaning towards Rock Band. I have a bunch of friends who come to my house regularly and play video games, and I actually am in a real Rock Band and I'm sure my band mates would love playing the game. A few questions though. Any of you who have the game have any comments to give? Also, I noticed that on Best Buy it says that there is Guitar, Drums, and a Mic included, yet on the video review it shows four different things playing at once. What gives? Also, I don't really have a ton of room for the whole thing, so I'm wondering how much space the drums really take up just so I won't run out of room trying to set up the game. Thanks :)

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've been thinking about this for a long time myself but I just don't play games that much with my friends to warrant the purchase. I have GH3 for the 360...well I did but I traded it in and I'm about to purchase the PS3 version(like in 30 minutes) because my 360 is on its way out again.

I would suggest getting GH3 if you will be playing alone but if you will be jamming with friends then RB is what you want....its an exceelent party game.

The guitar sucks though...

Bless

3. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

May I ask in what way? Even if it is complete garbage, I will be on drums most of time so I won't matter too much.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^People have stated that is kind of flimsy. I'm going of with some user reviews but my time with the game has been nothing but good...the guitar does feel a little cheap to me but the drums are the main attraction here.

Bless

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well the Rock Band kit doesn't come with a bass/2nd guitar so you need to buy a second one to get a whole band BUT the guitars don't come out until April and GH3 guitars don't work with Rock Band thanks to the whole EA/Activision bitchfest so basically it'll be a few months before you can rock out with a whole band. The drums aren't actually all that big and they can be put on a table if you connect the drum pads directly to the base instead of using the leg pieces, it saves some room.

Rock Band guitar section is much tamer than GH3, and a lot of songs are downright boring as all hell, same with some songs for drums and for vocals. That, for me, is the problem with Rock Band. Most songs in GH are made to be hard to play and be diverse and a lot of fun to play. Rock Band has to compromise to make songs that will be more fun as a band but sadly aftr you have played "Say it ain't so" for the 46th time in World Tour Mode (since you play the same songs over and over and over at different gigs) the game starts to grind me.

Also, you can't progress past a certain number of fans, which unlocks new venues, unless you crank up the difficultly. So, basically you need to be able to play on hard/expert and have at least one friend who can play at the same level with you. For me, that also breaks the game since people I play with won't lay higher than medium so I'm stuck at 260,000 fans and will likely never get past it.

That said, Rock Band is still a lot of fun with a group and some better DLC will help keep it fresh.