Thinking of getting samsung 840 or 840 pro...difference?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by koban4max, Nov 30, 2013.

1. koban4max macrumors 68000

Which has long lifespan? I heard that one of them dies fast.

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

840 EVO uses 19nm TLC, 840 Pro uses MLC and has a higher amount of write cycles, which isn't a big issue because under normal use it's said you can get several years of use out of them.

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I got the EVO as the write cycles seem pretty unimportant. I expect to be replacing it in five years (as requirements increase).

This review explains them and it should last way beyond 5years

I should add its nice and fast as well - getting near 500/500 speeds on a SATAIII card

4. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks.

----------

what consider writing and reading? just curious since it's my first buy.

5. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Like this in fact (just ran that now for you :) thats the EVO 1TB, running on a Apricorn Velocity Solo X2 (SATA 6GB/s PCIe Card) in the Mac Pro in my sig

Attached Files:

6. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

geez...that's good..but i have no clue about the significance of SSD...other than it won't last long and its fast...but what's fast?:eek:

7. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

compared to a HDD its a world of difference. The whole system will feel lightening fast. Much faster application load times, save times etc. faster startup and shutdown. File copies quicker etc.

hard disks average around the 100MB/s, whereas an SSD will usually be about 270MB/s or more (mine are on the PCIe controller at 6GB/s speeds so I get near the 500MB/s).

as for not lasting long I think that needs a little perspective. A normal user should easily see an SSD lasting longer than a HDD in years.

8. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

so if i'm using audio programs like logic pro 9 or final cut pro 7...does it "write" or "read" a lot? What cause the deterioration of that SSD?

9. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Final cut could benefit - depends on your workflow. My other half uses Logic Pro X a lot and without his SSD it would be painful waiting for large sample banks, tracks etc to load and save.

Have a read of all the pages in this article - it explains SSD advantages versus HDD.

deterioration is caused as each little bit of memory on the disk can only be written to so many times (many thousands) - but other clever tricks the SSD's use allow for this, hence why they are now at the level where an SSD is expected to last longer than a HDD at similar workloads.

10. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

if i delete files...would that preserve SSD?

11. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

do you mean make it last longer? how many years do you see it being useful? (I mean how long before you would upgrade the system or get a bigger SSD for example?)

12. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

i'm planning to use it on mac pro...09... for few more years i suppose...it's good computer...I want to keep it for while longer.

----------

i'm hoping more than 5 years.

13. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

In my opinion; I would say there isn't much between a HDD or an SSD in terms of life expectancy of five years plus.

My Intel 520 series (I use exclusively for Bootcamp) is a couple of years old now and still at 100% health. I honestly expect it to last me many years yet and will probably have to get a bigger one before it wears out.

there is no easy answer - I suggest reading that article I linked in full and deciding what your needs will be based on that.

If you need the performance then an SSD is the only real option. And as long as you keep backups (as every user should) then no worries.

I have yet to have an SSD fail, and I have been using them since they first became affordable.

I have had my share of HDD's fail.

My main reason for preferring SSD is generally if it does get used enough to wear out, it will become read only. when a hard disk fails its a physical device and as such data loss is very likely.

14. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks so much with infos.

15. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

The best thing to do is to avoid running it for long periods almost full.

One trick to help this is to make sure that free space is available on the disk. Best way is to leave unallocated space (only make 220-240 GB of partitions on a 256 GB disk - that guarantees no more than around 90% full).

Making sure that TRIM is enabled is also very important - a TRIM-enabled 256 GB partition with 36 GB free is the same as a 220 GB partition with 36 GB unpartitioned.

The unpartitioned (or TRIM'd) free space helps the disk avoid making extra write/erase cycles as part of housekeeping.

16. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes...about Trim..i heard about this...is this automatic trimmed? or what?

17. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

You will need Trim Enabler for a third party drive

18. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

In the normal case (i.e. an Apple OS with an Apple SSD, or Windows with any SSD that identifies itself as supporting TRIM), when a file is deleted the OS sends an extra command to the disk that says basically "the following sectors no longer contain data of interest".

That gives the SSD controller the freedom to coalesce and erase unused blocks without have to move (which means more writes) sectors which might be in use. Without the OS telling the drive which sectors aren't used, it might save (i.e. write) sectors from files which have been deleted by the OS file system.

If you put a non-Apple drive in an Apple, Apple OSX will not send these TRIM commands to the drive -- unless you hack Apple OSX with a "TRIM enabler" that disables the check for whether the SSD was bought from Apple.
    Windows and other operating systems will send the TRIM commands to any drive which says "I support TRIM" when it's brought online. Apple adds a check to make sure that the drive was purchased from Apple -- unless you disable that with one of the "TRIM enabler" hacks. (Isn't proprietary software wonderful?)

19. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

basically, from my understanding, using trim will prevent saving these "writes?"
    Also prevent apple checking the driver?

20. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

I think you get the point -
    • TRIM means fewer writes
    • Fewer writes means longer life and better performance

TRIM enablers will "prevent Apple's driver from checking the drive" in some fashion.

21. koban4max thread starter macrumors 68000

If not putting trim on...then I guess it will store up these "writes."

22. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

23. reikohh macrumors newbie

reikohh

2 840 EVOs 500GB as RAID0 with Sonnet Tempo Pro

Attached Files:

24. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

I like the bit about the pieces of paper (it ignores the issue of pages vs. blocks, but is a nice easy to grasp metaphor).

That link is wrong, however, when it says "A TRIM command enables your operating system to find the marked pages before you need them and wipe them clean".

The erasing is done in the SSD controller - the only thing TRIM does is give the controller information about which previously written pages are no longer used by the file system. The controller does the erasing (more efficiently, because it does have to move (write) pages that have been freed).