Thinking of getting the 24" LED Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by peejack, Apr 28, 2010.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Thinking of getting this for my Mac Pro, does anyone have any views on these or is money better spent elsewhere?

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

They're nice monitors but you could probably get 2 24" monitors for their price. I have one and i love it BUT it was very expensive even with student discount.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

at first glance it looks very over-priced... but when you delve deeper you'll see the quality is really nice compared to a lot of cheaper monitors out there. Plus if you are into aesthetics and like your setup to look nice and minimalist its a great monitor. However there are a few cheaper alternatives with the same or slightly better quality.

4. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

where can you get two 24 inch, IPS and LED backlit displays for the price of the cinema display?

5. MarketingGuy macrumors member

We use the 24" Apple LED at my advertising agency with Mac Pros. Having gone through Dell, Samsung, and NEC LCD monitors, I can honestly say that you really do get what you pay for. The Apple monitor provides vivid colors and my designers swear they are more accurate. I like the Apple display because it just looks nice out of the box. My 24" Samsung never looked as balanced, even after months of tweaking.

I purchased all of our displays as new units from the Apple store, although many on this forum have had great luck with the refubs off of Apple.com. I'm serious considering a refurb for our next purchase.

6. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I think it looks a very nice screen that will fit the Mac Pro well, and the isight and speakers are a bonus :)

I always have problems getting osx to look good on other monitors.

My current 23" is 1920 x 1080 which is a bit odd, i think the 1920 x 1200 will be a lot nicer :)

7. = bluntman = macrumors regular

I was first put off by its glossy screen (coming from a smaller Dell monitor with a matte screen), but after spending some time with it in a well lit Apple Store and being amazed at the vivid colours and sharpness I realized that it was definitely worth the purchase.

8. Imadofax macrumors newbie

Imadofax

I'm wondering what price range the 27" LED Display might be at?

That is if they ever come out with one, but optimistically expecting to see one announced in June.

9. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well obviously they will be more than the 24". My guess is about £850.

10. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

If they release a 27", I would expect the 24" to fall in price by £50-£100 so there is more difference between the sizes. But that's only my opinion and expectation, with no evidence, so don't hold me to this.

11. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

I very much doubt a fall in price, this never happened with the older cinema displays.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I LOVE mine! Expensive initially but the buyers remorse vanishes when you see it on your desk.

Also I have yet to see a monitor that even comes close to this quality, and I see a LOT of monitors a day.

13. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I recommend checking the apple refurb store daily. The refurb monitors get BIG discounts to $599, and they look PERFECT. Same warranty applies.

14. DoorMouse macrumors member

really? Looking at the refurb store in Australia- a refurb ACD is the same as getting a new one with the education discount ($1,150 in comparison to full price $1,300). I must say I thought the refurb would be cheaper than that, but maybe my expectations are too high?

I would really love an ACD, just not sure if I can justify spending the money on it...I just want a bigger screen to work with, but I do like the asthetics and style of the ACD over a different brand (and I've only ever used/owned apple computers, so I tend to go with a company/brand that I know rather than one I don't).

I was thinking of waiting a bit until the 27" came out, and perhaps the 24" would go down in price (or more second hand ones might come out on the market) but perhaps that wait is in vain?

15. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

+1

Picked mine up there as well and love it. I then went on eBay and picked up Apple Care for it - *just in case*.

16. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I ordered mine and received the next day.

All I have to say is WOW! This is without doubt the best display I have ever seen. The screen just looks awesome and vibrant, looks much better than the screens in the current iMacs.

Defo worth the money. Thumbs up for Apple :)

17. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

If I were you I would wait for a 27" LED like the one found in the 27" iMac. I expect we should see an update to Apple's displays before year end.

18. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why?

1) I don't want a 27" it's too big.

2) It will cost a lot more.

3) I have brought the 24" now as I stated below.

Why is the advice from everyone to always for rumoured products because they will be bigger/better? I swear 50% of people on here just spend their life waiting and doing nothing with the systems they currently have. :rolleyes:

19. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

27" is too big and can out a strain on the eyes (if it's close to you), pick up a refurbished one, it's at a great price

20. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got mine for £538 brand new :) was pretty pleased with that :D

21. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

One reason people may want to wait for the 27" is some believe that introducing a bigger brother LED display will push the price down on the 24", which is exactly what I'm hoping for actually :D

But congratulations on your purchase! I'm always envy when I hear about people getting their 24" ACD. man I want one so bad...

22. Imadofax macrumors newbie

Imadofax

Is 27" too big?

Saw a couple of comments here about a 27" being too big and hard on the eyes!

Been working with an old 19" for years and been just salivating to upgrade. Figured I'd go for a 27" screen but now wondering if it might actually be harder on the eyes?

Seeing they are selling a bunch of the 27" iMacs I figure they can't be all that bad as a screen? Opinions?

I just want the real estate so I can have as many windows open as possible.

thanks.

23. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

The only way I would see 27" being too big is if you're trying to play Starcraft 2 on a 2.8GHz 15" MacBook Pro. My MBP is struggling to play on my 24" monitor so I have to tone it down to 1200x720 or something on medium-low settings. Wish I could run it at 1920x1080 on high :(