thinking of getting the new iPad but..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by abz1981, Mar 14, 2012.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

I already have a MBA and an iPhone 4s. If I get the iPad will I end up simply giving up on the MBA and IPhone for internet use etc?

I know at the end of the day, its all down to how I use the iPad. I mean right now my current set up is. I use my MBA for occasional documents I type up using Pages. I do like the physical keyboard. I watch a lot of streaming of movies, tv shows etc on my MBA and surfing on safari. Thats what I mainly use my MBA for. Its mainly used when I am in bed, or sitting downstairs in front of the tv.

I never really take my MBA out of the house. In the night when I have put my MBA away, I may go on my iPhone and surf a little bit more. In the morning then I am on my iPhone too, surfing etc. I take my iPhone to work and surfing when I get free time or use apps etc.

Now when I get my iPad I believe I will be able to take that out with me more, and maybe use that downstairs in front of the tv etc instead of my MBA. But then use my MBA only when I am doing the occasional writing up documents etc. But would I end up simply moving away more and more from my MBA when I get the iPad. That is the question and I really don't know.

Again I know its down to what I use it for. Right now on my MBA what I stream etc, I don't think I will be able to use on my iPad. for example I do visit sites that have flash and I stream old episodes of CSI NY etc. Where as on the iPad. i will only be able to watch what I have uploaded right or downloaded via iTunes, unless I jail break?

Anyways you all probably wondering why I am writing this, I guess I am writing this, to air my thoughts and views and hoping someone can help suggest or input there own views on my situation to see if its worth it. Oh btw the iPad won't cost me anything, as I will be using vouchers/coupons I will be earning from work, to put to the cost of an iPad.

I did think of one time selling my MBA and getting iPad as like a main computer, even though its a tablet, but decided not to.

What do you guys think?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The iPad and an 11 in MBA are about the same weight to carry around. I find that more users seem to be using notebooks as desktops and iPads for mobile use. iPhone, even with its retina display is not a viable web browsing solution. You need a larger screen, not just more pixels to effectively surf the web.

I recommend the iPad for mobile use but keep the MBA and iPhone. I've heard of people using iPad as their main machine but that's the exception not the rule and I would strongly caution you. The iPad, much like the iPhone has no user accessible file system (without jailbreaking) and for me that's a deal breaker when it comes to a "main machine".

hope this helps...

3. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey R0k

Thanks for your input. I agree with what your saying and I think you are right, in people using the ipad as more of an internet
    use for surfing etc. I have been thinking more of what I wrote earlier, on, and I guess at the end of the day. I can start reading again.
    As I am not a big reader and always wanted to get into books, and now If I get an ipad I can make use of ibooks or other applications.
    Also I will be keeping my MBA anyways as it is. SO I think my mind is set. When I have saved enough vouchers for a value to get
    the Ipad, Ipad 3 will be on my list and will still use my MBA as my main computer and use my iphone as my phone and surfing,
    when I dont have my Ipad with me:)

thanks for your input