Thinking of going all in on iOS 9 Public Beta

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Jul 15, 2015.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of trying out the public beta on my iPad and iPhone, switching to the new notes, etc.

I want to make sure my current workflow will work reasonably well (I get it, it's a beta).

Any known issues with Calendar or Reminders?

These are the apps I use most frequently:
    Overcast
    Google Photos
    Nike+Running
    LastPass
    Yelp
    Evernote
    Twitter
    Trivia Crack
    Threes

Any known issues with these?

And, is there a way to import a PDF from Scanner Pro to the new notes app on iOS 9 - I'm thinking of migrating from Evernote to the new Notes app.

Any info is appreciated.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Which iPad and iPhone are you using?

The only app I use out of that list is Twitter and the iPhone version has an annoying issue where the tabs at the bottom sometimes aren't very responsive and require multiple touches before they work.

3. Pack Leader macrumors newbie

Runs reasonably on my 6. Stutterers here and there. I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in battery life, well it depends on the day I guess.

I haven't switched to the new notes for one reason... I'm concerned I won't be able to access those new notes on iCloud.com so I'd hold off there until the site it updated if you use it regularly.

Twitter is the only one of your apps I used and it performs as normal for me.

4. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

5. woodynorman macrumors 6502

I removed it from my daily driver iPhone 6. There were times it would be completely useless....locking up, no cellular data, etc, etc...I spent a couple frustrating days with it, then went back to 8.4. It does seem to run reasonably well on my 6 plus and iPad Air, but the loss of cellular data happens on both of them occasionally.

I would wait until the next public beta update before jumping in....just my .02.

6. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm on iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2.

7. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. It's a tough call.

8. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I should probably at least wait for beta 2. Thanks for the advice.

9. Jab00 macrumors regular

Google Photos has been working wonderfully for me on my i6+ other than that twitter is the only other one that I use

10. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Definitely good to know.

11. stringent macrumors 6502

stringent

I have gone all in (iPhone 5S, iPad Air 2, even El Cap on my MBP) apart from a few bits (lag, app crashes) which is to be expected on the beta, its not made the phone unusable for me that I've have had to revert back to 8.4

Experiencing the same Twitter bug as mentioned. Could try another 3rd party app and see if that works better for now.

12. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty much all in.

iOS 9 on my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 works really well. Some minor visual glitches and few crashing apps. Otherwise it runs really well. Much better than I expected.

El Cap beta on my rMBP is superb. Way better than Yosemite. Can't wait for the final build.

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Overcast works fine for most part on my iPhone 5s and ipad mini 2. There is a small bug where if you tap on the exclamation mark on the podcast, the window that shows info about the podcast crashes, but otherwise, it works as before.

The new notes is a little broken in that it doesn't support share sheet extensions. So you can only share documents to the default options like iMessage and mail, but not 3rd party options like whatsapp.

For scanner pro, you are able to share a pdf in scanner pro app to notes. This will create a new note with the pdf inside. Works pretty well.

14. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

I went all in with the PB. Only app that I have that's not working is Excel, and that only on my Air 2 surprisingly. But, I don't use it often enough to downgrade. (Plus, I'm too in love with the new true multitasking on my Air 2. )

15. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great information. So Scanner Pro already supports sending PDF's to the new Notes app? That is awesome!

16. Saurus504 macrumors member

This is a gigantic problem for me right now. I'm regularly losing cellular connection and it's really pissing me off. I'm pissed at myself because I only have a cloud backup, not a full iTunes backup so I think I'm stuck with this until they fix it in the 2nd public beta.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

What's wrong with the iCloud backup (assuming it's still from iOS 8), as far as going back to iOS 8?

18. Saurus504 macrumors member

Well that's only going to restore data such as contacts, photos, music, etc. That's not going to revert the firmware

19. batting1000 macrumors 604

So revert the firmware and load the backup.

??

20. Saurus504 macrumors member

How would I do that without a backup?

I see in the bottom of Settings > General there's a profile section with iOS 9 Beta Software profile. And when I go into that I could delete it...but I'm not sure what exactly that's going to do.

21. batting1000 macrumors 604

I don't understand...

What are you trying to do? Go back to 8.4? Do you have an 8.4 backup in iCloud?

22. Saurus504 macrumors member

Yeah. When I plug in, open up iTunes, and try to restore. It says my latest backup is 7/7. Which is the one I want. But when it lets me actually choose one, it's all old backups from old phones/ipads

23. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

Nike+fuel crashes everytime...not sure about Nike+running though...just food for thought

24. batting1000 macrumors 604

7/7 is probably your last iCloud backup.

To return to iOS 8.4:

Go here http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
    In the drop down menu download the .ipsw for your device (it downloads it directly from Apple, nothing shady here)
    Open iTunes and plug in your device
    Go to the main device summary screen
    Windows: Shift+Click on Restore
    Mac: Alt/Option+Click on Restore
    Then browse for and double click the 8.4 file.

Or enter DFU mode and click restore.

25. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

I put it on my 6+ and decided to downgrade...I just put my phone in DFU mode and restored as normal...