Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I'm thinking of trying out the public beta on my iPad and iPhone, switching to the new notes, etc.

I want to make sure my current workflow will work reasonably well (I get it, it's a beta).

Any known issues with Calendar or Reminders?

These are the apps I use most frequently:
Overcast
Google Photos
Nike+Running
LastPass
Yelp
Evernote
Twitter
Trivia Crack
Threes

Any known issues with these?

And, is there a way to import a PDF from Scanner Pro to the new notes app on iOS 9 - I'm thinking of migrating from Evernote to the new Notes app.

Any info is appreciated.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Which iPad and iPhone are you using?

The only app I use out of that list is Twitter and the iPhone version has an annoying issue where the tabs at the bottom sometimes aren't very responsive and require multiple touches before they work.

Reactions: Cayden

Pack Leader

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2015
Runs reasonably on my 6. Stutterers here and there. I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in battery life, well it depends on the day I guess.

I haven't switched to the new notes for one reason... I'm concerned I won't be able to access those new notes on iCloud.com so I'd hold off there until the site it updated if you use it regularly.

Twitter is the only one of your apps I used and it performs as normal for me.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I removed it from my daily driver iPhone 6. There were times it would be completely useless....locking up, no cellular data, etc, etc...I spent a couple frustrating days with it, then went back to 8.4. It does seem to run reasonably well on my 6 plus and iPad Air, but the loss of cellular data happens on both of them occasionally.

I would wait until the next public beta update before jumping in....just my .02.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Which iPad and iPhone are you using?

The only app I use out of that list is Twitter and the iPhone version has an annoying issue where the tabs at the bottom sometimes aren't very responsive and require multiple touches before they work.

I'm on iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2.

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I removed it from my daily driver iPhone 6. There were times it would be completely useless....locking up, no cellular data, etc, etc...I spent a couple frustrating days with it, then went back to 8.4. It does seem to run reasonably well on my 6 plus and iPad Air, but the loss of cellular data happens on both of them occasionally.

I would wait until the next public beta update before jumping in....just my .02.
I guess I should probably at least wait for beta 2. Thanks for the advice.

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
Google Photos has been working wonderfully for me on my i6+ other than that twitter is the only other one that I use

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London
I have gone all in (iPhone 5S, iPad Air 2, even El Cap on my MBP) apart from a few bits (lag, app crashes) which is to be expected on the beta, its not made the phone unusable for me that I've have had to revert back to 8.4

Experiencing the same Twitter bug as mentioned. Could try another 3rd party app and see if that works better for now.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
I'm pretty much all in.

iOS 9 on my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 works really well. Some minor visual glitches and few crashing apps. Otherwise it runs really well. Much better than I expected.

El Cap beta on my rMBP is superb. Way better than Yosemite. Can't wait for the final build.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'm thinking of trying out the public beta on my iPad and iPhone, switching to the new notes, etc.

I want to make sure my current workflow will work reasonably well (I get it, it's a beta).

Any known issues with Calendar or Reminders?

These are the apps I use most frequently:
Overcast
Google Photos
Nike+Running
LastPass
Yelp
Evernote
Twitter
Trivia Crack
Threes

Any known issues with these?

And, is there a way to import a PDF from Scanner Pro to the new notes app on iOS 9 - I'm thinking of migrating from Evernote to the new Notes app.

Any info is appreciated.
Overcast works fine for most part on my iPhone 5s and ipad mini 2. There is a small bug where if you tap on the exclamation mark on the podcast, the window that shows info about the podcast crashes, but otherwise, it works as before.

The new notes is a little broken in that it doesn't support share sheet extensions. So you can only share documents to the default options like iMessage and mail, but not 3rd party options like whatsapp.

For scanner pro, you are able to share a pdf in scanner pro app to notes. This will create a new note with the pdf inside. Works pretty well.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
I went all in with the PB. Only app that I have that's not working is Excel, and that only on my Air 2 surprisingly. But, I don't use it often enough to downgrade. (Plus, I'm too in love with the new true multitasking on my Air 2. )

TRICKorDEVICE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Overcast works fine for most part on my iPhone 5s and ipad mini 2. There is a small bug where if you tap on the exclamation mark on the podcast, the window that shows info about the podcast crashes, but otherwise, it works as before.

The new notes is a little broken in that it doesn't support share sheet extensions. So you can only share documents to the default options like iMessage and mail, but not 3rd party options like whatsapp.

For scanner pro, you are able to share a pdf in scanner pro app to notes. This will create a new note with the pdf inside. Works pretty well.

Great information. So Scanner Pro already supports sending PDF's to the new Notes app? That is awesome!

Saurus504

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
There were times it would be completely useless....locking up, no cellular data, etc,
This is a gigantic problem for me right now. I'm regularly losing cellular connection and it's really pissing me off. I'm pissed at myself because I only have a cloud backup, not a full iTunes backup so I think I'm stuck with this until they fix it in the 2nd public beta.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is a gigantic problem for me right now. I'm regularly losing cellular connection and it's really pissing me off. I'm pissed at myself because I only have a cloud backup, not a full iTunes backup so I think I'm stuck with this until they fix it in the 2nd public beta.
What's wrong with the iCloud backup (assuming it's still from iOS 8), as far as going back to iOS 8?

Saurus504

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
Well that's only going to restore data such as contacts, photos, music, etc. That's not going to revert the firmware

Saurus504

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
How would I do that without a backup?

I see in the bottom of Settings > General there's a profile section with iOS 9 Beta Software profile. And when I go into that I could delete it...but I'm not sure what exactly that's going to do.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
How would I do that without a backup?

I see in the bottom of Settings > General there's a profile section with iOS 9 Beta Software profile. And when I go into that I could delete it...but I'm not sure what exactly that's going to do.

I don't understand...

What are you trying to do? Go back to 8.4? Do you have an 8.4 backup in iCloud?

Saurus504

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
I don't understand...

What are you trying to do? Go back to 8.4? Do you have an 8.4 backup in iCloud?
Yeah. When I plug in, open up iTunes, and try to restore. It says my latest backup is 7/7. Which is the one I want. But when it lets me actually choose one, it's all old backups from old phones/ipads

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Yeah. When I plug in, open up iTunes, and try to restore. It says my latest backup is 7/7. Which is the one I want. But when it lets me actually choose one, it's all old backups from old phones/ipads

7/7 is probably your last iCloud backup.

To return to iOS 8.4:

Go here http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
In the drop down menu download the .ipsw for your device (it downloads it directly from Apple, nothing shady here)
Open iTunes and plug in your device
Go to the main device summary screen
Windows: Shift+Click on Restore
Mac: Alt/Option+Click on Restore
Then browse for and double click the 8.4 file.

Or enter DFU mode and click restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.