Thinking of going and getting the apple pencil

Discussion in 'iPad' started by darksoul78644, Jun 23, 2017.

1. darksoul78644 macrumors member

darksoul78644

Ok I have the 10.5 and I've been thinking about going and getting me the Apple Pencil. My iPad is mostly used for internet, music, and basic things. I would love to use it for coloring book apps and maybe see what else I can do with it. Like I said I'm just a basic user. Who knows. Maybe I'll find other uses for it.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

It's worth it to me

Even for nav round browsing the web it's ideal. More so with the 12.9 it saves you some time and distance using the pencil over your finger.

3. Pete Rodgers macrumors member

Pete Rodgers

It's a brilliant drawing tool for use in Procreate, Graphic etc etc, but I find that I never use it otherwise. If you take a lot of notes and want to dump the paper, it's great for that too. If not, I'd just stick with your best digital input - your finger.

4. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I use the Pencil daily for note taking at work.

I also use it a lot for navigating on the iPad for general use while at home.

It's not cheap, but being able to place you palm on the iPad while using it is something hard to describe. I'd suggest visiting an Apple Store to see first hand, that would be the logical next step.

5. darksoul78644 thread starter macrumors member

darksoul78644

True. Test it out first.

6. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

I just went and bought one myself. I have the same basic uses as you do and I have found uses for it. I play a couple PC games that I like to sketch out ideas before implementing them into my games. Plus the coloring book apps are great too.

I say go for it. You'll use it. Might not be frequent, but you'll absolutely use it.

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I would say get a magnetic cover for it so you can just stick it to the top of your iPad when you aren't using it. Makes it less Likely to lose it when not in use.

[​IMG]

8. Pete Rodgers macrumors member

Pete Rodgers

I agree.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2017 ---
    That's a cool thing. What's it called? I have a short rubber sleeve I took from a biro to improve the grip, but this is great.

9. Kiimora, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017

Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

i cant imagine my iPad without he Pencil; scrolling is very snappy, cant tell the difference from a real pencil with note taking, also charging is within the blink of the eye...seconds really!!

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

https://www.moxiware.com/products/apple-pencil-magnet

I'm from the UK but it shipped here just fine and didn't take long either

11. max2 macrumors 68000

12. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Definitely test it out, OP. Within 5 minutes of using at the Apple Store, I knew I had to give the iPPs another go.

I use it for drawing and writing notes, but am looking forward to incorporating it more in my workload.

The pencil is what convinced me to buy the iPP. Love mine.

13. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

It's starting to look a lot like Surface, everywhere I goooooo!

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

The magnet also sticks to the Smart Cover or Smart Keyboard as well.

15. max2 macrumors 68000

Do you all think this is wrong? To get a Apple pencil and keyboard if I don't like it send it back ?

16. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

Of course that’s not wrong. If you don’t like it there’s no point in wasting money

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You are a basic user, I don't think you will need Apple Pencil. BUT you can buy Wacom Bamboo stylus for cheap.

18. 960design macrumors 68020

Do it! I use the Apple pencil at meetings and to jot down notes while on the phone. Cannot type with one hand.

I also use the pencil to sketch out application layouts for clients. So much easier to keep track of everything when saved to a cloud folder. I remember the good old days of paper based layout and workflows... I would always lose, destroy, have the dog eat at least one per client.