Thinking of iMac 27" purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrCide, Feb 8, 2010.

1. mrCide macrumors member

So I bought a 17" MBP (base) last July I think for around $2250 total after discounts/selling ipod/etc. I've been pretty damn happy with it. Lately though I've gotten into playing WoW again and actually using the laptop at my desk (got that rain something stand i forget the name but it's nice) which I've had no problems with, but I'm having second thoughts.. spending less time away from my desk on the laptop.

I'm considering picking up a 27" iMac i7 and selling the MBP before a new line comes out, then purchasing a 13" MBP a bit later on, maybe even waiting until a MBP update comes out. Figure I can transfer my stuff, wipe it, and get a good amount of what I paid back.

I think the iMac recently had the update with the i7 but there's been a lot of issues I've read about, screen issues. Have these been resolved? Are there any other issues? Basically I'm looking for someone to give me thoughts on why I shouldn't do this (if any). :)

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

why not just add a monitor if all you want is a larger screen?

run a dual screen setup.

3. andrew0122 macrumors regular

Do you have a reason to need the i7?

If not I agree that you would probably be better off just buying a 24" apple display for $800. You'd get the most for screen real estate without spending too much. I thought that WoW wasn't that resource intensive anyway so would you really need an iCore 7?

4. mrCide thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. I originally intended the 17" to be a portable desktop replacement. I was going to get an 24" iMac originally but figured since I don't game anymore I'll just get the laptop (with all the discounts). That's changed though, now I want a desktop and don't really have the need for a powerhouse laptop in additional to a powerhouse desktop. Maybe I won't need the top end 27" but I still do prefer to get the larger screened version.

What I was really looking for was details about the 27", if all the issues are ironed out and what not.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Since theres been a 3 week delay on 27" iMacs, maybe.

You might try over at the iMac forum?

I still think adding a $500-600 24" Dell u2410 would be money well spent -- your MBP is still a pretty good workhorse. Adding a fast 7200 RPM 640 gig (or larger) drive and saving up for 8 gigs of ram could make it last well into several years from now...

6. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Have you considered purchasing a display and using an existing USB keyboard and mouse and save some $? That's how I use my MBP.

Habitus :apple: