Thinking of installing WINE on my Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ram171, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Ram171 macrumors member

Ram171

Hello all,

I'm feeling a bit adventurous these days, and was thinking of installing two things:

1. Ubuntu
    2. WINE

The idea is to install Ubuntu and run wine within that OS to run windows based software. Would this be smart choice? Should I install WINE directly to my Mac OSX? Is running Parallels better? Is installing Windows through Bootcamp a safer choice? Or a waste of money?

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. WINE is not for everyone, including me. I've used Linux for years and still do. If you need to run windows apps, I would recommend installing windows in the VM of your choice. Parallels works great, as does VMWare.

I have them both installed on my Mac Pro. I don't use bootcamp, but if I were a gamer I would. Save yourself the headache and forget about WINE.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

Wine is a waste of time. Download the real windows. You can try parallels, but if you get frustrated, install windows through boot camp.

4. Ram171 thread starter macrumors member

Ram171

Thanks. I kinda agree. I wont waste my time. I did some research, and it seems unanimous it is a waste.

5. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

It most certainly isn't a "waste of time" it is just dependent on what you are trying to run.

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 under VMWare Fusion 6.0.1 right now and typing this MSG from same. It works great.

I also have WinXP, Win7, and Win8 VM's and all run brilliantly in VMWare and Paralles. Parallels is a little snappier.

7. 8Apples macrumors member

8Apples

I too used Linux (exclusively) and Ubuntu specifically for years. I found Wine to be a great option on Linux. I have been very much less impressed with Wine on Mac. Having used Linux for years, I don't have a copy of Windows at all, so I'm kind of stuck with Wine. Any other options? I'm not prone to shell out $$$ for an OS I'm obviously not using in the first place for a reason. Any thoughts as to the best Wine installation?

8Apples

PS - crjackson - recognize you from Ubuntu forums, until this last update I was still using timekpr, the ultimate software. Sad to see it dropped.