thinking of iphone...but question on pre-paid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iOrlando, May 26, 2009.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

quick question..

make long story short...i need to know about a pre-paid phone in order to get an iphone.

i remember in the early 2000s...tracfone was pretty popular for pre-paid. (when i refer to pre-paid..i mean you go and buy a card that has minutes on it and thats it...no monthly costs...no additional costs...once you run out of minutes..you go buy more...)

I've checked At&t and verizon etc..and they offer something called pre-paid phones but you still have to pay per month for something which i dont get.

any suggestions besides tracfone?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think at the moment ATT offers a prepaid iPhone option. I'm not sure why you'd need to pay a monthly fee by going the prepaid route

3. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

You're looking at the Flex-Pay which still requires a monthly payment, you just do it in advance, Its helpful if you have poor credit (theres no credit check) or if you don't want to be tied into a contract - you can stop at any time.

AT&T does offer a true Pre-paid plan called GoPhone which is where you pre-pay for a set amount of minutes and just pay up again when you run out, but thats going to limit your data usage on the iPhone. About 4-5 months ago they really tightened the restrictions. I had been using it and it became such a burden it wasn't worth it.

If you're only going to use it for voice it should still work... I believe you'll have to QuickPwn/jailbreak to get past the standard iPhone activation process too as pre-paid isn't a typical option.