Thinking of Jailbreaking but want to avoid slowdown/lag?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hardax, Mar 11, 2009.

1. hardax macrumors regular

I was thinking of jailbreaking my 3G iPhone so I could use SBsettings and maybe customize some sounds etc. Not really interested in Winterboard etc. Would using only SBsettings slow down my phone at all?

Also, once JB'd can you still use the official App Store or only Cydia?

Thanks for any input.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If it lags, you did it wrong.

You can use both stores.

3. army91c macrumors 6502a

JB and putting apps on your phone does not slow it down. Maybe if you have background on and an app running it may, but the simple fact of JB and putting apps on does not, I repeat, does not slow your phone down.

If you JB you can use both official and the dreaded JB apps.

DON'T buy into the bs you hear here related to JB'ing, most of them are talking out of their 4th poing of contact.....

4. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

You can use both Cydia and App Store.

I don't care what anybody else says, I noticed a slowdown of my phone when it was jailbroken. It was not a HUGE slowdown, but it definitely was slower.. SMS and Settings.app did take longer to open for sure. SBSettings, I believe runs in the background, so you may notice a decrease in battery life (This just what I've heard and I'm not 100% on this).

5. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking shouldn't lag your phone, or make it slower.
    At least it doesn't to mine.
    If you experience any lags just reboot; it happens to all phones, not just jailbroken ones.
    By jailbreaking it you can free your iphone. There are great apps on Cydia and Installer.

If you have any questions you can also visit blog.iphone-dev.org/
    for more info

6. fishepa macrumors regular

My phone defintely slowed down a little when I installed winterboard after jailbreaking. Uninstalling it seemed to make it better. When I meaned slowed down, I'm talking about the time it takes to open up certain apps. Settings would take over 3 seconds to open up, before winterboard just about 2 seconds.

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I really wish I had one those magical iPhones that doesn't slow down when it runs out of RAM due to stuff like MobileSubstrate running! You guys are really lucky to have phones with plenty of RAM!

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

WinterBoard (and, to a lesser extent) tends to make SpringBoard's RAM consumption skyrocket.

Most userland homebrew, however, has no impact on idle RAM usage.

It's not magic, just basic computing knowledge: if you have a RAM-constrained device, avoid bloated/buggy software that consumes lots of RAM. :)

9. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Make sure you install springboard settings, which has a task manager. I suspect most (but not all) lag is caused by too many apps sucking up RAM. Speed always picks up when I kill apps like ipod and safari, which stay open in the background.