iPod touch Thinking of jailbreaking, but...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mikedamirault, Jul 24, 2011.

1. mikedamirault macrumors newbie

Now I usually don't get any help from this forum, but hopefully you can answer a simple safety/security question about jailbreaking

I have both a Verizon/CDMA iPhone 4 and a 2nd gen iPod Touch, both paired to iTunes on the same computer

I have no plans of jailbreaking my iPhone (at all, never), but wanted to try it out on my iPod Touch (which would probably be more useful to me if jailbroken)

My question is, being that both my iPhone and Touch are both paired to the same PC, say that I connect the jailbroken Touch to my PC, then later go to connect my iPhone, could anything happen in iTunes from the jailbroken Touch that could in any way affect the iPhone once connected and syncing with iTunes?

And if so, say I did want to remove the jailbreak at any time, could I do a restore from any PC with iTunes or does it have to be the one it's paired to?

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

1] jailbreaking is safe,secure.it doesnot harm you device at all.
    2] Let's say you have 2 cars. One of the car has ABS , does it affect the the car in any way? No
    Similarly jailbreaking a device does nothing to other device synced on the same computer.
    3] Just restore from any pc whenever you wanna remove it.

One more thing. IPod touch 2g is a very old device. It is slow. Jailbreaking and installing many addons can slow it down.
    Btw once u experience jailbroken device,stock devices seem primitive.
    Let me know your firmware so I can guide you.
    Also it's impossible to brick an iOS device unless it's hardware failure. So incase you do something wrong don't think jailbreaking killed it :)

3. mikedamirault thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply

You are right about the 2G being an old/slow iDevice, I have noticed that right after I jailbroke it, I wasn't worried about the Touch being bricked as much as I was worried that the iPhone would have adverse effects due to being synced to the same PC as the jailbroken Touch (relieved to hear it won't)

After reading some other posts, I decided to just go for the jailbreak, I have iOS 4.2.1 so trying jailbreakme.com didn't work for the 2G and jailbreakme.com/star didn't work for 4.2.1, I then tried greenpois0n which seemed to work pretty well

After installing greenpois0n, I have noticed that I did not get the Loader app for Cydia, easily fixed though

The jailbreak seems to be working well, yet slow and slightly buggy like you said, not very fond of all the ads and very few free apps in Cydia though, still fun to mess around with:D

Thanks again for your reply;)