Thinking of Jailbreaking iPod Touch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by markojug, May 6, 2009.

1. markojug macrumors regular

Hi

I'm thinking of jailbreaking my iPod Touch 2 gen. I have a couple of questions:

1. 3.0 is coming out soon, will that be jailbreakable?

2. If I jailbreak, can I still use apps from the app store?

3. Should I wait till my warranty gets void or should I just do it now?

Thanks

2. llj1137075 macrumors member

1. 3.0's betas have all been jailbroken. And I'm sure eventually 3.0 will be jailbroken but the day it comes out it might not be because apple could change things.

2. Yes. The only app I know of that even knows you are jailbroken is the recent update to skype. But I'm not sure if that was only for the iphone or for the ipod touch too. Either way it was just a warning and it still worked.

3. You warranty is void. But you can always restore with out leaving any traces of the jailbreak.
    Well not completely. If an apple genius really wanted to try and keep you from getting a replacement I'm sure they could somehow find out you were once jailbroken but they replaced my iphone with dust under the screen without even checking any of my water sensors so they definitely didn't check and see if I was jailbroken.

I'm on the beta now and I miss being jailbroken. But I'm sure 3.0 will be jailbroken shortly after it's release whenever that may be. Good luck with your decision. And if you don't like it. It's easy to restore.

3. bradenwh macrumors 6502

They cannot tell if it's been jailbroken. The jailbreak is all software, and a restore formats the drive, and is locked again. It's untraceable.

4. Dakenson macrumors newbie

I'm sure 3.0 will be jailbreakable 1 or 2 days after it's official release

All the applications from the app store will still run, with no problem at all

Once, my iPod's screen broke and I had to take it to validate the warranty. It was jailbroken but as the screen wasn't working they didn't detected it, a friend took his iPhone to warranty and he just had to restore so no one noticed :p

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the jailbreaks are hardware based which from what I have been reading cannot simply be patched with an updated firmware so in essence 3.0 will be jailbreakable but not straight away as the bundles for quickpwn and pwnage tool etc have to be put together and made sure it is all stable to use so you could be looking at upto a week for a proper working jailbreak.

6. markojug thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your advice guys.

One last question:

If i jailbreak now, can i restore then upgrade to the proper non jailbroken 3.0?