Thinking of jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Yoshiki UK, May 21, 2009.

1. Yoshiki UK macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of jailbreaking my iPod Touch 1st gen, firmware 2.2.1.

A few questions.

1) Will it wipe my music?
    2) Will I be able to use apple apps from the apple store after jailbreak?
    3) Lets say apple release a new firmware version and i want it. Can I 'delete' the jailbreak?

Thanks for any help guys.

2. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

1) No
    2) Yes
    3) You have to restore the original firmware to 'delete' the jailbreak.

Jailbreaking brings lots of great features to your iPod Touch but it does slow it down over time.

3. YoshikiUK macrumors newbie

So really, if I jailbreak and it slows down after time or whatever, I can just restore it to original firmware and add 2.2.1 to it again.

4. somewhatvaguely macrumors member

somewhatvaguely

When I jailbroke my 1st gen iPod touch on my macbook, once I used installer, cydia, for a couple hours, afterward, it would freeze and I'd have to restore the whole thing again. I did this two times before, and before that the DFU wouldn't work, so I'm just giving up on the whole thing. :(

5. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I have 3 words for you: DONT DO IT

I have tried it numerous times, gone through the trouble, and I must say that its not worth it. It runs slower, gets bad battery life, and the novelty of themes wears off rather quickly. It is cool to show off to friends though.

6. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

The battery life doesn't suck, there are some useful benefits from jailbreaking suck as background processes. Until firmware 3.0 comes out, background processes are essential for me. The themes you can download are garbage anyhow.

7. i-do macrumors member

U R ALL DOM (sorry:rolleyes:)jailbreak is awesome it gives you everything and more...i waited for the 2g jailbreak so long and i had a lot of unsucsusfull (i dont know how to spell it...) jailbreak shots......ITS WORTH IT!!if you need help just PM me....

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

My testing shows otherwise.

My testing shows otherwise.

Yep, so do something useful with the added features instead! :D

9. no-ledge macrumors newbie

don't jailbreak your itouch for themes, that's fairly silly.
    there are a TON of incredibly useful apps that can only be added by jailbreaking.
    i think that mxtube itself is well worth the 2 minutes you spend jailbreaking the device.

10. themacintoshman macrumors member

I don't know how you're testing, but the added features DEFINITELY eat away more battery life. Especially things like background processes.

11. shmeargan21 macrumors newbie

The only reason your probably getting bad battery life is because the 1st gen. touch doesnt get very good battery life (atleast mine didnt) and because if you are constantly touching the screen looking through the themes or playing apps then the battery life will go down faster.

12. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

What is the Absolute benefit to Jailbreak a 16GB 2nd Gen iTouch. I think it is cool just the way it is, but I am wondering if I am missing anything by not doing it, also I have Applecare on it for 2 years, so I assume this voids the warranty, correct.

Thanks for your help :rolleyes:

13. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the only way you can void your warranty is if you damage the outside of the caseing or drop water on it...... putting custom firmware onto the iPod DOES NOT void the warranty and if it does need to go in for repairs you can just as easily do a full restore to official firmware.

personally I find benefits from jailbreaking because I get to break away from the traditional boring default theme and use one I want to have, also I get the chance to display more icons on screen than I could if I was just on a regular firmware. One key benefit though for me is pockettouch, I have found this app a god send as it allows me to change tracks in my pocket without having to pull my iPod out :D