thinking of keeping my edge iphone but

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stagfish, Jun 30, 2008.

1. stagfish macrumors newbie

3g and gps is the only upgrades I will miss out on correct? everything else will be in the 2.0 update. Im thinking of buying a 80g ipod and keeping my iphone cause id only get 3g when im at work , no 3g at home. help me decide

2. animenick65 macrumors 6502

You need to weigh the conviniences with the cost. I currently carry and ipod touch and phone. I will be converging the two by getting a 3g iphone. I need the data and everything anyway so the cost per month is manageable. The SMS pricing kinda blows so i'll have to cut back on those.

3. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Go to an Apple or AT&T store after July 10, play with one for awhile, then decide if you want to pay at least $199 plus $360 more over the next 2 years for GPS, 3G, and the same data you have now. Yes, that $559 minimum for 8GB over the next 2 years.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Yes. 3G capability and GPS are the only major hardware additions to the iPhone 3G. The existing iPhone will be able to enjoy all the features that the 2.0 software will bring as long as those features do not require the additional hardware included in the 3G.

5. agirton macrumors regular

Do you have the 8 or 16 GB version now? It could be worth it for the extra space also if you need it. I still have my 8 from day one and while I would love a 32 GB version(I am still holding hope for a last min announcement) I think double my space will be nice since I am right at the limit all the time.

6. xploit macrumors regular

Keep your 2G! Especially if you dont need the increased speed. Your original is the product with better made parts. The new 3G is BUDGET all the way at a higher monthly fee. If you didn't have a 2G I would say get one but since you do and since the software upgrades are coming to 2G then why switch??

X-

7. MacFanatic08 macrumors member

Get the 3G, if you're ever going to sell your iPhone 2G. The 3G is MUCH better in almost every way, it looks gorgeous with that black backing too. :)

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

If the 3G or GPS don't apply to you, then you are all set. GPS is only a bonus feature that won't be a huge addition, geotagging and maps are so far the only apps for it, and those are bonuses for most people. And if you don't have 3G in your area, then it almost doesn't make sense getting the new iPhone if you have a current one. I would however get MobileMe for your current one, the PUSH email and other apps should be great.

Would you mind explaining "much better in almost every way"? It is almost the same in every way, with the exception of the faster speeds on 3G, the only differences are Maps which can now get your location a lot more precise, and the camera app which can geotag your photos. And I for one like the old back a lot better than the cheep plastic one.

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Any apps that use the GPS will surely fall back to the 2G wifi/celltower location mechanism if the GPS isn't available. And apps that stream music and video will still be slower at 3G than WiFi. Factor in the material cost cutting Apple did to make their price point, and the new backend costs of the 3G -- keeping the 2G doesn't seem so horrible.

10. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat -- I've decided to upgrade my 8Gig to 16Gig 3G, even though I don't have 3G connection a lot:

-- Prices are still over $400 on ebay for unlocked original 8Gig, even if it goes down to $200, then I'm paying $100 for the upgrade plus $240 in increased fees. I'm hoping that after the initial sell-off, the prices will actually be around $300
    -- Start from zero on warranty
    -- start from zero on battery, which costs $89
    -- better call quality, even on Edge? (the people who tested it said quality was MUCH better -- I'm hoping it's not just because of the 3G)
    -- I rent a car with GPS once or twice a year, so I'll save on that
    -- better battery life on Edge
    -- will have 3G SOMETIMES -- better call quality AND faster internet
    -- flush headphone jack (so I'd take advantage of iPod part more, I keep losing the adapters and hate them)
    -- I'm not that interested in any of the wish lists for future hardware updates, so while I would have preferred 32Gig, 16 will last me two years until my next AT&T upgrade