Thinking of leaving Sprint $30 SERO 500 for iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TazExprez, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TazExprez macrumors member

I currently have a Sprint HTC Touch Pro with the $30.00 SERO 500 plan with unlimited Internet and unlimited text messages. I was only considering getting the Evo 4G, but I would have to change my plan to the $60.00 EPRP 500 and pay the $10.00 Evo 4G fee. If I want to get any smart phones, with the exception of other Windows Mobile phones, I would have to change my SERO 500 plan, so now Sprint would cost me similar to AT&T and Verizon. I am thinking of getting either the iPhone 4 with the $15.00 200MB data plan and the $40.00 voice plan, or the Evo 4G with the plan I mentioned above.

I usually use about 100MB to 150MB per month on my Touch Pro. I use the Opera Mini browser most of the time, so most of my browsing is compressed. I also have 4 email accounts pushed to my phone. I sometimes watch YouTube videos and stream my local WNYC stations. Would I be able to use a iPhone 4 on the 200MB plan? I have started to use my iPod Touch with my Touch Pro using WMWifiRouter, btw.

I use the Garmin Mobile XT software on my Touch Pro so that I can get GPS navigation without any extra monthly fees. I like this method because it also allows me to use GPS without the cellular radio on if I want. Would I be able to use GPS navigation without extra fees or the cellular radio turned on with TomTom or Navigon installed on the iPhone 4?

Does the iPhone version of Google Maps have Street View, like the Windows Mobile version? The iPod Touch version doesn't include this.

Thanks for all your help.

2. chris.robison macrumors regular

Heh, I am doing this too. I will miss the super low pricing, but I am ready for change and iPhone. :)

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you.

How do you plan to order?

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

If it helps you feel any better I left Sprint last year to get the iPhone from a Treo Pro on the Friends and Family plan with 450 mins, unlimited text, unlimited data for $15/month and no contract. I don't regret it one bit.

200MB depends on how much browsing you do. If you are in WiFi a lot then it should be fine, but if not and you use your phone a lot, then probably not. Yes, I have purchased the Navigon app and it works with no cellular data. It downloads the maps to your phone. Also, google maps will do street view, but only for still's. The navigation doesn't work in street view for google maps.

4. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

I left a Sprint SERO plan & Treo behind as well -- I miss Sprint service from time to time (I never had a single dropped call with Sprint here in Cincinnati in any of the 6 years I was with them), and I definitely miss the good old days of just calling up Sprint Retentions to get free stuff.

However, having said that, I can't imagine going back to a regular smartphone after owning an iPhone for a year.

5. cherylzyx macrumors member

cherylzyx

I've decided to leave my Sprint SERO plan for an iPhone 4 too. I have wanted an iPhone since they first came out but have waited because I didn't want to lose my great SERO plan. I was hoping that Apple would sell a Sprint compatible iPhone but I've come to realize that that will never happen. So, I've waited long enough, I'm getting an iPhone 4.

6. TazExprez thread starter macrumors member

I have also wanted an iPhone since 2007, but really liked my plan. Now you have to upgrade this plan if you want any smart phone, with the exception of the Windows Mobile phones.

7. BigdaddyMBP macrumors newbie

Get the EVO stay with Sprint

Hey Guys,

So I had an Iphone 3GS and sold it, and decided while I was waiting to pre-order the Iphone 4 I would check out the EVO. Man there are some small issues that will need to be ironed out, but I have never had this much fun with a phone period.

I am an apple fan, but I also like diversity.... Android, while maybe not quite as polished feels very intuitive, and so far has worked flawlessly. Furthermore I feel like the world is open to me. I rooted it, have wifi tether, installed custom rom's with better stuff, changed my radio, and upgraded to a Verizon PRL to roam on VZW network when I want for free. The 4.3 " screen is awesome streaming HD Youtube and I have found the touchscreen to be very good.

Since I have an iPad I guess I am enjoying the open OS and the change of pace from apple. I am sure the iPhone 4 will be amazing, but for me I think I am sticking with the Evo or Droid X with VZW depending on which I like better when it comes out.

It is nice to have that as a phone and unlimited data to hook my iPad wifi up to on the road.

Just my 2 cents.

8. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

It's not the same at sprint you pay $69.99 and get basically unlimited everything where with att for unlimited mins it's $69.99 alone plus $15 or $25 for data and another for $20 for unlimited txts so it's not the same cost wise.

9. BigdaddyMBP macrumors newbie

Agreed - 79 bucks get you 450 minutes, but UNLIMITED mobile to mobile so the only time you use mins is when you call a landline. Unlimited data, texts, etc.

It is normally 69, but you have to add 10 bucks if you have the EVO.

Plus my co has a 24% discount :)

10. truciet macrumors 6502

If I had sero, I would stay. I'm not sure if you know this, but Sprint will hook you up with a nice retention plan still that will work with all phones besides Windows Mobile (Sero's restriction).

My friend has the $79.99 ($10 for 4g) 450 minutes with unlimited data/text and after 25% and a recurring $20 monthly credit, his bill is $47! If you try this now, they've lowered the recurring monthly credit to $10 due to slickdeals...:eek:

11. BigdaddyMBP macrumors newbie

Crap I need to call and say I have done my trial but am thinking of leaving... maybe they will lower my prices.

12. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

I was on a Treo Centro + SERO for the longest time, then switched to a Touch Pro 2. Bought an EVO a few weeks ago to try (Google I/O edition) and it's a nice phone. But there are just too many problems... battery life most of all but WiFi reception is major too. I have been playing around with friend's iPhone 3GSs and their apps are about 1000x better than Android apps. I played Tiger Woods Golf on my friend's iPhone today and there's nothing close to it for Android, not even close. I'm sure there are way, way more apps for iPhone I don't even know about too.

EVO is going on Ebay and I'm getting an iPhone 4. I plan to get unlimited data (I can still get it w/ AT&T premier) + cheapest voice plan + opt out of text messaging, price will be $55 + taxes w/ premier. That's $25 more than my SERO. I think it will be worth it.

I suggest you start w/ the 200 MB plan and then switch if you go over. AT&T says you can switch during the month of your service and there will be no extra charge. Knowing what a pile of crap the Windows Mobile browser is compared to iPhone I bet you will go over :)

13. truciet macrumors 6502

It will only work if you were on sero before. Since you're already switched...not sure if they will offer it now?

14. BigdaddyMBP macrumors newbie

Well I am a brand new customer with the 30 day risk trial going on. If I cancel before 30 days I am free and clear... so I have some leverage...