Thinking of Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Washac, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Thinking of going down the Mac Pro route, have a question.

Are the Apple Cinema Displays better quality than the Ones going into the iMacs ? These
    have colour fade problems, the iMac 20" has top to bottom fade, the 24" has left to right fade.

2. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Yes!
    ACD have LED back lighting, unlike iMac screens which use fluoro tubes.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Shifting is a result of the panel types used rather than the backlighting. ;) All three of the monitors/machines listed use different panels.

If you take the time to search the forum, there's a few threads where this is covered. :) It won't be quick, but it might answer a few other questions you havnen't even asked as well. :eek: :D :p

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

also,don't dismiss the older non-LED ACD's. I have the 23" and it is absolutely superb: perfect colour, totally even, amazing viewing angles, no backlight bleed, no dead pixels, and very, very bright. Also is a matte screen :)

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Don't think to long. The longer you think about it, the longer you will be missing out on a MacPro :p

6. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Thanks for the replies so far.

Just a few more.

1. Do any of the ACDs have cooling fans ?
    2. Silly one, but will a display cable come with either the Pro or ACD ?
    3. How much fan noise does the Pro make ?
    4. How does Timemachine perform, I will use this to get my stuff over to the new machine.

Thanks far....

7. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

1. No there`s no fan in an ACD.
    2. If it`s the 24" ACD then the display port cable is on the monitor, anything else and you`ll be using DVI.
    3. It`s pretty quiet, however it depends on the graphics card. X1900XT was nasty loud, 8800GT is pretty quiet, as for the newer options whilst i haven`t experienced them first hand i`m told they`re about the same as the 8800.
    4. Ideally i`d avoid using time machine as you`ll just bring over a load of old crap from the old machine.
    Connect the old mac (imac i presume) with a firewire cable and in target mode then copy the following.

/Users/yourname/Documents
    /Users/yourname/Library/Mail
    /Users/yourname/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist
    /Users/yourname/Library/Keychain
    /Users/yourname/Movies
    /Users/yourname/Music
    /Users/yourname/Photos

Aaaah frak it, just use time machine. I realise that whilst i can do this pretty easily typing it all out and you following it is a different story.

8. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks..

Did a file transfer using target mode once and ended up with all sorts of funny crap going on, did that machine manually in the end.

9. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

1) No cooling fans
    2) All ACDs have their cables built in, you don't have to buy any
    3) Not much. I get more noise from the DVD drives than the actual MP
    4) Time Machine works very well, but I'd only use it from new and not transfer settings across. Move files over manually.

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

When you first start up your new Mac, I believe it will ask you if you want to transfer settings and files from another Mac... select that option... it works amazingly well! It may take an hour or two depending on how much stuff you have, but it's worth it and completely painless. This is one of the things that just blows Windows right out of the water in my opinion.