Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Quick story: I thought it would be a good idea to pick up an AT&T HSPA+ nexus 7, even though my wifi version up and died one day after about a year. Well, the new Nexus is already driving me up the wall, it is almost useless.

I am running the latest firmware, in fact I updated the thing right out of the box, noticed it eats a ton of battery, so much so, it is almost useless. I have unlocked the device's bootloader, loaded a custom rom on it, custom kernels and same result, even on wifi the thing eats battery, I can't seem to turn mobile data off. I got a poor signal, although I found I can connect to my AT&T microcell tower, it gives me a better signal.

THe device went dead in about 9-10 hours of light use (twitter here and there, web browsing a bit on chrome and weather radar) over wifi.

The device has drained sitting overnight, it has drained on airplane mode, etc... So, there is either a battery issue, or software in the latest update.

So, I figured I am done messing with it. Fool me twice or more.... (I had a samsung galaxy nexus at one point, also terrible device). It is too late to get a refund on the thing, I am not even sure I want to try to claim warrantee because I would have to put the thing to stock, when I had to hack it to attempt to make it work, so I am thinking about moving to an ipad / iphone 5.

My current smart phone is a galaxy note 2 (pretty good device, but has quirks of its own).

I have a 16gb wifi ipad mini. Its okay, a little quirky and limited to what I am used to (being an android user) but the sucker holds a charge for a while. I did jailbreak it, but don't see much use for cydia, so. iOS 7 is starting to add features that I liked on my android devices, control center and multi tasking (a huge plus), making it more attractive.

So, the way I see it, I got duped. I have started to think perhaps I have been making excuses for android. The tablet is pretty much a paperweight right now, I cannot expect it to be charged and ready to go when I am. Since I am paying for service on it (its added to my family plan) and I do not have a 2 year contract on it (good thing!) I wondered if I should just cut my losses and just get either a 4g ipad retina or 4g ipad mini.

I suspect I would be able to pull the sim card from the nexus 7 and shove it in an ipad sim, with one caveat. I would need AT&T to swap out sim cards for me since the size is different (blasted non standard sim card sizes).

I am sure they will do this, but if they do, will I be able to use 4g on the ipad? Or will I be stuck at the slower 3g / HSPA+ speeds? Or am I going to have to pay activation (yet again :rolleyes:) and change my plan?

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Quick story: I thought it would be a good idea to pick up an AT&T HSPA+ nexus 7, even though my wifi version up and died one day after about a year. Well, the new Nexus is already driving me up the wall, it is almost useless.

I am running the latest firmware, in fact I updated the thing right out of the box, noticed it eats a ton of battery, so much so, it is almost useless. I have unlocked the device's bootloader, loaded a custom rom on it, custom kernels and same result, even on wifi the thing eats battery, I can't seem to turn mobile data off. I got a poor signal, although I found I can connect to my AT&T microcell tower, it gives me a better signal.

THe device went dead in about 9-10 hours of light use (twitter here and there, web browsing a bit on chrome and weather radar) over wifi.

The device has drained sitting overnight, it has drained on airplane mode, etc... So, there is either a battery issue, or software in the latest update.

So, I figured I am done messing with it. Fool me twice or more.... (I had a samsung galaxy nexus at one point, also terrible device). It is too late to get a refund on the thing, I am not even sure I want to try to claim warrantee because I would have to put the thing to stock, when I had to hack it to attempt to make it work, so I am thinking about moving to an ipad / iphone 5.

My current smart phone is a galaxy note 2 (pretty good device, but has quirks of its own).

I have a 16gb wifi ipad mini. Its okay, a little quirky and limited to what I am used to (being an android user) but the sucker holds a charge for a while. I did jailbreak it, but don't see much use for cydia, so. iOS 7 is starting to add features that I liked on my android devices, control center and multi tasking (a huge plus), making it more attractive.

So, the way I see it, I got duped. I have started to think perhaps I have been making excuses for android. The tablet is pretty much a paperweight right now, I cannot expect it to be charged and ready to go when I am. Since I am paying for service on it (its added to my family plan) and I do not have a 2 year contract on it (good thing!) I wondered if I should just cut my losses and just get either a 4g ipad retina or 4g ipad mini.

I suspect I would be able to pull the sim card from the nexus 7 and shove it in an ipad sim, with one caveat. I would need AT&T to swap out sim cards for me since the size is different (blasted non standard sim card sizes).

I am sure they will do this, but if they do, will I be able to use 4g on the ipad? Or will I be stuck at the slower 3g / HSPA+ speeds? Or am I going to have to pay activation (yet again :rolleyes:) and change my plan?

Cydia has tons of uses.

You say you like control center from Apple on iOS7, which isn't out yet. Guess what, you can pretty much get the same thing with installing one of a few different tweaks from Cydia. Some you pay for you, some are free.

Here are a few that have Toggles:
NCSettings (my personal favorite and have installed on my iP5 and iPad 3)
Auxo
IntelliscreenX
SBSettings (previously my favorite before NCSettings)

I am testing out Auxo but still pretty much use NCSettings for all my toggle needs.

I have Adblocker for Safari which pretty much blocks all website ads. It is great and you can add more to it if one gets through. helps clean up the websites and gives you back screen realistate when you are using a mobile device. I prefer using safari over all the other browsers. I have Chrome but so far I like Chrome on my laptop and Mac Mini, I prefer Safari on my iphone and ipad.

Atom is another tweak that I like. Adds up to 6 apps to your lock screen that you can access directly from the lock screen. Just slide the lock button to the app you want and bam! you are in the app. Great if you want to go directly to phone, mail, Messages, camera, Pandora, or Music apps (that is what I have on my mine).

Activator allows you to assign custom gestures to different functions/apps on your iOS device. I use this a little bit but not much.

Secretary, I use this to have my Messages/SMS read to me through my BT connection in my car while I driving. it will read me who the message is from and then read me the message. I can then use the dictation option to speak my reply. No typing while driving required.

SBRotator 6 allows me to rotate a bunch of different apps to landscape instead of leaving them portrait. One that I like the most is the music app. I hate coverflow. Don't care, I want access to the controls while it is in landscape view. SBRotator 6 allows me to do just that.

iFile, allows me to use my Camera Connection Kit and a USB drive. I can transfer files to and from my 32 GB USB drive just like I would if I was using a normal computer or an Android device. I use this mostly when I travel since I have 16 GB iPad. I put my movies on the USB drive and then either transfer them from the drive to my ipad or I just play them right from the USB Drive.

I am debating to try a 64GB drive to see if that would work as well. I have a bunch of small 2 and 4 GB models around that done work but the ones I found that did are the Datasport drives. they are a rugged rubberized USB drive. I had a 8GB model that worked so I bought a 32 GB model that I also found that worked. The 64GB might also worked but haven't dropped the money on it yet to try. But that would give me a total of 112 GB of storage for my iPad when I travel for movies (that is counting the 16GB on board storage, 32 GB drive, and 64 GB drive). I didn't count the 8 GB drive since it would only care say 2-3 moves unless I go with small movies for my kids.

With that said, I too have thought about going with an Android device as my next tablet but since I have a lot invested with Apple and have a Mac Mini, 3 Apple TV3s, 2 iPad, 3 iPhones, and all work well with each other I haven't decided to break away yet. I am testing a cheap Android tablet to see if I like it or not and so far not really. I am trying not to judge the operating system based on the tablet's performance since it is cheap but so far not really impressed with the operating system. Some nice options but other than being able to use a MicroSD card to expand memory and toggles (which I can get through Cydia or iOS 7), there isn't much of a reason to go that direction yet.

My iPad and iPhone work. They are simple and they get the job done for 90% of my usage. The remaining 10% I use a laptop or my Mac Mini. If I bought an Android tablet I would still have to use a computer for that 10% so I gain nothing really.

Just my .02 cents.

Those are just a few of the ones I have installed

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Cydia has tons of uses.

You say you like control center from Apple on iOS7, which isn't out yet. Guess what, you can pretty much get the same thing with installing one of a few different tweaks from Cydia. Some you pay for you, some are free.

Here are a few that have Toggles:
NCSettings (my personal favorite and have installed on my iP5 and iPad 3)
Auxo
IntelliscreenX
SBSettings (previously my favorite before NCSettings)

I am testing out Auxo but still pretty much use NCSettings for all my toggle needs.

I have Adblocker for Safari which pretty much blocks all website ads. It is great and you can add more to it if one gets through. helps clean up the websites and gives you back screen realistate when you are using a mobile device. I prefer using safari over all the other browsers. I have Chrome but so far I like Chrome on my laptop and Mac Mini, I prefer Safari on my iphone and ipad.

Atom is another tweak that I like. Adds up to 6 apps to your lock screen that you can access directly from the lock screen. Just slide the lock button to the app you want and bam! you are in the app. Great if you want to go directly to phone, mail, Messages, camera, Pandora, or Music apps (that is what I have on my mine).

Activator allows you to assign custom gestures to different functions/apps on your iOS device. I use this a little bit but not much.

Secretary, I use this to have my Messages/SMS read to me through my BT connection in my car while I driving. it will read me who the message is from and then read me the message. I can then use the dictation option to speak my reply. No typing while driving required.

SBRotator 6 allows me to rotate a bunch of different apps to landscape instead of leaving them portrait. One that I like the most is the music app. I hate coverflow. Don't care, I want access to the controls while it is in landscape view. SBRotator 6 allows me to do just that.

iFile, allows me to use my Camera Connection Kit and a USB drive. I can transfer files to and from my 32 GB USB drive just like I would if I was using a normal computer or an Android device. I use this mostly when I travel since I have 16 GB iPad. I put my movies on the USB drive and then either transfer them from the drive to my ipad or I just play them right from the USB Drive.

I am debating to try a 64GB drive to see if that would work as well. I have a bunch of small 2 and 4 GB models around that done work but the ones I found that did are the Datasport drives. they are a rugged rubberized USB drive. I had a 8GB model that worked so I bought a 32 GB model that I also found that worked. The 64GB might also worked but haven't dropped the money on it yet to try. But that would give me a total of 112 GB of storage for my iPad when I travel for movies (that is counting the 16GB on board storage, 32 GB drive, and 64 GB drive). I didn't count the 8 GB drive since it would only care say 2-3 moves unless I go with small movies for my kids.

With that said, I too have thought about going with an Android device as my next tablet but since I have a lot invested with Apple and have a Mac Mini, 3 Apple TV3s, 2 iPad, 3 iPhones, and all work well with each other I haven't decided to break away yet. I am testing a cheap Android tablet to see if I like it or not and so far not really. I am trying not to judge the operating system based on the tablet's performance since it is cheap but so far not really impressed with the operating system. Some nice options but other than being able to use a MicroSD card to expand memory and toggles (which I can get through Cydia or iOS 7), there isn't much of a reason to go that direction yet.

My iPad and iPhone work. They are simple and they get the job done for 90% of my usage. The remaining 10% I use a laptop or my Mac Mini. If I bought an Android tablet I would still have to use a computer for that 10% so I gain nothing really.

Just my .02 cents.

Those are just a few of the ones I have installed

Thanks for the heads up on Cydia. I guess I got a bit before iOS7 drops.

The bigger question is, would I be able to trade my Nexus 7 sim card with an LTE enabled ipad / ipad mini and be able to get LTE since the nexus is an HSPA device? Like I noted before, I know there is a physical size difference in the sim card sizes, so it would not be a strait trade.

Will doing this require yet another activation on AT&T?

I suppose I should just go down and talk to them.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Thanks for the heads up on Cydia. I guess I got a bit before iOS7 drops.

The bigger question is, would I be able to trade my Nexus 7 sim card with an LTE enabled ipad / ipad mini and be able to get LTE since the nexus is an HSPA device? Like I noted before, I know there is a physical size difference in the sim card sizes, so it would not be a strait trade.

Will doing this require yet another activation on AT&T?

I suppose I should just go down and talk to them.

Good question. The sim card for the AT&T ipad is smaller right? I think there are sim cutters you can get to cut down your sim card to be the correct size for the ipad but I am not sure if AT&T will have an issue with this since they typically do not let us use the SIM cards from our iphones in the ipad to get data on it so we do not have to pay for a data plan on both. Not sure if they would not let you get data since the card was originally meant for a Nexus 7. That you would probably have to just ask them.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I came across a rather disturbing "feature" just now while playing with my iPad mini wifi.

I was browsing model maps for weather and tried to pull the image to save locally to share via twitter, only to get the option to "copy" which did nothing, other, then I assume, saved to the clipboard. The image was not in my camera roll. I tried from safari and chrome.

A HUGE deal breaker for me. Android gives me the option to not only save the image to my device, but to copy the link or save the link.

I also noted the adblocker did not block all ads. Chrome displayed ads, ads showed up in some apps, etc. Not a huge issue, a bit annoying and I can get out of this easier by purchasing the paid version or going ad free.

Not trying to knock the device here, but, it looks as if the iPad is not for me, :(

ihakim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Stanford, CA
Hold out for a second-gen Nexus 7. I imagine they'll be out pretty soon based on your rumors and will probably address the issues you're having with your first-gen.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009

There's pros and cons to each. I like my iPad mini a lot... but sometimes I need to pull out my Galaxy Note 10.1. Didn't really expect to end up with two tablets... :eek:

While it seems like you're going to stick with Android, if you do go to AT&T, if you swap your SIM card, you may also want to tell them you are switching to an iOS device. I recently bought a new phone at AT&T and decided to give my old phone to another family member who had been using a 3GS. I forget the details but from what I remember, I was told that swapping the cards was not a problem, but because the person's SIM card was originally on an iOS device, putting it into an Android could potentially make their data plan not work unless they reset something on AT&T's end (it was free).

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
i had an android tablet it was bad, so i got a refurbed ipad 4 32 gig from the apple store for 499. this thing is pure awesomeness iam so happy i got it.
its fast and battery life is awesome. dont waite for the ipad5 get the 4
you will be happy with it

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I have a nexus 7 as well, and I hate it. I really think your battery is just faulty, though. It's not as good as the iPad Mini's, but it shouldn't be as bad as you described it. I don't use my N7 much because of the lag and the crappy phone apps. I have just been waiting for the next gen full sized iPad to come out.

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
I came across a rather disturbing "feature" just now while playing with my iPad mini wifi.

I was browsing model maps for weather and tried to pull the image to save locally to share via twitter, only to get the option to "copy" which did nothing, other, then I assume, saved to the clipboard. The image was not in my camera roll. I tried from safari and chrome.

A HUGE deal breaker for me. Android gives me the option to not only save the image to my device, but to copy the link or save the link.

I also noted the adblocker did not block all ads. Chrome displayed ads, ads showed up in some apps, etc. Not a huge issue, a bit annoying and I can get out of this easier by purchasing the paid version or going ad free.

Not trying to knock the device here, but, it looks as if the iPad is not for me, :(

A screenshot would have worked while being slightly more clunky than necessary. Also there are many other ad blocking tweaks in Cydia, take a look around.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
i used to have a Nexus 7, what a crappy tablet so i sold it. i bought a samsung galaxy tab. and this thing is not good too. sold it and bought a mini which i have been using ever since. love it...

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
NC
I have a Nexus 7 and love it....got it from Newegg as a refurb for $149!
It's fast and the screen is beautiful. I am also getting excellent battery life.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012

Adblocker only works with safari. Chrome for iOS does not have a block ad option, on block pop-ups. If you are using chrome mostly for your browser buying Adblocker won't do anything.

As someone else pointed out I would have just done a screen shot (press both the power button and the home button at the same time). That will save it to your camera roll

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
Congratulations! Now it is time to actually enjoy your device. I use mine quite extensively mostly for reading and have not experienced a single issue so far. It holds a charge for an entire week and I don't even notice that the device is even there. It is liberating when you invest on things that "just work" versus focusing on the "how it works". Android offers many options versus iOS, but, software that attempts to be "everything to everyone" fails on so many fundamental levels. As a former Linux-geek, trust me, I know how frustrating it is. As I get older, at some point, I just don't care but I do want it to work and work well.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Is he not allowed to enjoy both platforms?

Of course he is but as a courtesy this is a Mac forum and why promote the beauty of your Nexus. Same thing as if I am in an Android forum. Do you think they will appreciate it if I speak highly of my IPads!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.