Thinking of picking up a Verizon iPhone 4 soon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilcosco08, Mar 8, 2011.

1. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Yeah, I know about the iPhone 5 launching in a few months, but I really don't need much of the upgrades

dual core- It's a phone
    Better GPU - It's a phone
    4g - fine with 3g
    etc etc

But one of the main reasons is the unlimited data.
    With the shift to tiered coming with the launch of the iPhone 5, I was going to snag one before that shift because I use tons of data

Thoughts?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Buy the 4, and sell it as brand new. Put the money towards the 5. That way you'll be grandfathered into the unlimited and also be using the most current phone.

3. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed it's just a phone, but if Apple makes their iOS 5 software integrate with the Dual Core processor then it could end up requiring that extra processing power.
    They have to make some way for people to upgrade.

Lol, even if you don't need it. I don't see the point of getting old technology when you can easily get the new one in 3 months, and enjoy it.

But it's your decision at the end.

4. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Given your views on phones, I think it makes sense to get the current model and lock in the unlimited data package. We have no knowledge that Verizon will get an updated phone this summer, and even if it does it's not likely to be a big jump the way the (possibly) 2012 version will be with LTE. So that might be the next time you feel compelled to upgrade, close to 18 months from now, which is just about when you can upgrade.

So buy now.

5. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

If you don't need the newest and greatest then I say get the iPhone 4. You could always sell it and get the iPhone 5 when it comes out.

6. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

7. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

this is literally one of the best posts ive ever come across in these forums, besides i have a feeling the next iphone isnt going to be leaps and bounds better than the iphone 4. i got a verizon iphone when they launched and i have never been so content with a phone in my life. go for it!

8. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I agree w/ the above(s). Go ahead and get it.

You should be just fine w/ iOS 5 as they tend to support a few generations, at least, and that should be fine. If something is just "that" much better when the iPhone refresh comes out this summer then you can always sell it for a few bills, and then buy the 5 retail and it'll be like buying it under contract again anyways w/ the cash from the 4 sale.

I love my iPhone 4 and glad I have it now over waiting as my Droid was just irking me.

9. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I'm happy with my iPhone 4. Do you really need the absolute newest thing out there. Look at past experience. The iPhone 3G has basically just been dropped from being supported with updates. That means the iPhone 4 has a good two years left before Apple quits supporting it, if not more. You'll be fine, and then you'll be ready to upgrade to a new one.

Verizon doesn't seem to be as willing to allow early upgrades as AT&T either, so plan to be stuck there for a while.

10. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Was in the Verizon store today and they were mum on the I5 release. I told them I hope to be back mid summer to pick up a 4G i5. :cool: I use V's 3G service a lot and it's really just mediocre in terms of speed.

cheers on whatever you do
    JohnG

11. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

It's very unlikely the summer iPhone will have 4G. Apple already said during the Verizon event that the reason they don't have it on this phone is the chipset isn't where they need it to be w/o a full phone re-design and they're not willing to retool the iPhone completely.

You're most likely looking at the iPhone version of the iPad 2 in terms of updated processor, etc, and that's it until 2012's release.

12. imiller913 macrumors member

I was thinking the same thing about picking up a VZW I4 just to have unlimited data because I'm not sure when they will stop offering it.

13. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

ive read it supposed to happen sometime this summer

Link

14. herkyMD macrumors newbie

If you're already on contract with verizon and are just looking to upgrade to a smartphone to keep unlimited data I would do the following:

Find a cheap brand new palm pixi plus on the internet. I got one off of ebay for ~$60 with shipping. 1saleaday.com has had two deals this past month that are around $50 with shipping.

Once your pixi arrives you activate it with the $30 unlimited data (saving your upgrade because you didn't renew your contract) which will be grandfathered when you upgrade to the new iphone this summer (this is an assumption as verizon has grandfathered every plan up until this point)

This way you get the best of both worlds and it only sets you back an extra $60 bucks. webOS is actually great and the pixi can be overclocked easily so that it runs pretty smooth. Only downside is the severe lack of apps but if you're coming from a feature phone it really won't make a whole lot of difference until you get with iOS.

Also, the pixi comes with free 5GB of tethering every month. There is also a homebrew app called freetether that will allow you tether unlimited amounts of data as it shows up as normal data usage and not tether data usage. I've done this so I can vouch that nothing shows up under your tether data usage when using freetether.

15. dwguertin macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would wait, I used to get data speeds around 1mbps with my droid. Now I get .1 -.4mbps. With my iPhone 4 on Verizon. I should not have got the first model on CDMA maybe. Mine is gone when something that is competitive comes out. I like the OS but the Verizon speeds on it are bad IME.

16. imiller913 macrumors member

Getting rid of the unlimited data sucks, I guess I could get one now and sell it to make up the difference.