Thinking of purchasing a new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by usman2308, Jan 23, 2017.

1. usman2308 macrumors newbie

usman2308

Hi

I'm looking to buy the new Macbook Pro 13" nTB.

Currently I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - i7 2.3 Ghz. Its currently got 4Gb of RAM. I tried installing 16Gb but every so often it would crash. I've already put an SSD in.

Aside from the updates in terms of size, display etc. Will I notice a decrease or increase in performance? I can't seem to find any comparisons against my current Macbook. I use it mainly for general use and programming (xcode)

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Are you fitting 1600MHz RAM?

Also in terms of performance, it will be a step down for resource intensive stuff like music production/video editing. That is because the 2012 has a quad core i7, whilst the 2016 13" has a dual core CPU.

However for light usage like Internet browsing, the 13" 2016 will likely feel snappier and applications will open a little quicker due to the really quick SSD speeds.

So whether it's slower or faster depends a lot on what you'll be using it for. Xcode performance would depend on how large your compiled applications are.

3. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

For most tasks, the 13in TB will feel faster. That is the model I have, and I had a 15in late 2011 MBP, at one point. The extra ram, faster SSD, etc will be the reason for this. If you are doing a really processor intense activity, on a regular basis, you might notice a slow down; but the extra ram may offset this to a degree. The 13in feels just as fast as the 15in MBP I had, and I do some heavy stuff.

Are you using the right ram? If you are happy with your current machine, buying the correct ram is a cheaper solution. That being said, the 13in TB is a great machine.